Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Myelogram with Lumbar Puncture
sweetybear2008 posted:
I am a 42 yr old female.I have had back problems going back as far as I can remember. I have had no accidents, falls or surgeries. My last 2 lower vertebrae have little discs left. Once a day or more (when Im on my feet working), I have pain shooting down my right leg. (Syatic nerve). I found out I have Neuropathy also ( a cpl months ago) Dr and I knows it started from my back. So, he sends me to a Neurosurgeon. (this is where it gets fun...NOT) I am scheduled for an MRI, then find out I am clostraphobic...Attempt #2, I am being sedated BUT the MRI has sensors to if it thinks a person is goin to get "stuck", it wont go any further..(Yes Im a big boned person)...Attempt #3 is a Myelogram w/ lumbar puncture....I got poked SO MANY times and for 2 hrs. Never did get to putting in contrast. In certain spots, it shot BAD pain down past my buttocks. After several attempts, we quit. Dr said I was a rare case bc this shouldnt of taken 2 hrs to try to numb certain areas. I dont know what else to do or procedures. I am NOT going thru that again and dont wish it on anyone. Still havent figured out what is wrong or could b wrong. He did say my muscles are against my spinal cord but other than that, I dont know...Can someone give me some insight on this or what else can be done? Or what you think this might be?

Thank you SO MUCH!

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

we are lay people who try to help others with chronic problems - we cannot give any type of diagnoses, even our board certified physicians cannot do this without doing a full examination.

what I would suggest is that you see about having an open MRI done - it's much easier for those that are claustrophobic - you can even ask if they can prescribe something to help relax you so this can be done -

you really need to have the MRI or even a CT Scan done to see what's going on with your back -

please check into this and keep us posted - take care - Joy

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:

The purpose of the MRI and CT myelogram is for diagnostic purposes, and definitive surgical intervention or any other invasive treatment is typically based on results of these studies. I agree that it is rather unusual for someone to have such great difficulty tolerating an MRI (including open MRI ?), but I assume you ended up having a CT without the contrast done. It appears to me that any treatment for your symptoms would be 100% elective based on quality of life considerations, and you should therefore discuss your options with your neurosurgeon based on the best information he has available to him. Please keep us updated. Wishing you all the best and a happy TG holyday.

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center