Skip to content
Plans for The Holidays?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:

What are your plans for the holidays? Anyone traveling at all?
Because of your back pain, do you find it more difficult to travel?

Any tips to help make it a bit easier on you and your back?
Chrissy~ WebMD Staff

Confucius Say;
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

lifesajourney responded:
We are driving 3 hrs. I realize these tips may not be useful for everyone, but we are blessed to have heated seats in our car and it helps with the stiffness. I also get out and walk at every stop, try to sit straight in the car, and drink water. I sometimes takes a heating pad along for use at my destination or sit in a hot tub at the motel in the evening. We purchased a foam mattress topper for the bed we use at my father-in-law's because the bed is so bad. It helps a lot. We are there frequently enough to justify the expense. We bought it at Walmart. Anything beats sleeping on the floor because the bed hurts too much.

Flying is much harder on me and I have to rely on medication and walking in the airport.

bj1208 replied to lifesajourney's response:
We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. Everyone comes over, Santa shows up for the grandkids and grand nieces/nephews so it's really fun. Of course working our way to this evening is a bit more than I can take as we usually fix 10-15lbs Chili and also make Christmas Tins (this will be first year of no tins) but we will still have a platter of goodies. I buy those heat patches (CVS or Walgreens) - you just peal them off and stick on the area of hurt - they provide up to 8 hours of heat and really does help.

I have, at other times, tried to fly (up to 2 hours on plane) or even driven (9 hours one way) and I have to admit the plane trip is by far the worst - as there are times when flying that you cannot stand and/or walk the isles, and when at another airport you must walk around or get one of the cars to take you around. At least with driving you can stop as often as needed, walk around and stretch - even laying down in the back seat - and yes seat warmers are a life savor~~ I love them!!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Holidays~~~

Joy

lifesajourney replied to bj1208's response:
I've been wondering where you get those heat patches, sounds like something I could use! Walmart doesn't have them? What is the brand name? Thanks! Your Christmas Eve sounds fun! We also celebrate on Christmas Eve with my family but it's at my sister's, a block away and after Christmas with my in-laws who are scattered all over.

bj1208 replied to lifesajourney's response:
the ones at walmart usually are the ones that are heat/ice and have mental in them (which i cannot use) so I get mine at cvs - walgreens sales them too - if u can stand the heat/ice ones with mental they should be good but they do have that odor like bengay!!

hope this helps - Joy

lifesajourney replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks so much, I do not like to smell like Bengay! I will go to Walgreens. Merry Christmas friends!

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center