Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    MRI resulst
    rmk1965 posted:
    I am new to this site and wanted to post my MRI findings to see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions. I will follow up with my PCP next week:

    Sympoms, pain in lower back and pain radiating down my right leg into the arch of my foot. Pain radiating down my left leg into the buttocks.

    Attempted treatments/therapies.
    Oral steroids (Medtrol Pack): twice October and late November
    Physical therapy: 3X per week since late October.

    MRI date 12/15/2011

    L1 - L2 And L2 - L3 unremarkable

    L3-L4 There is a mild disc bulge. Theis is mild ligamentum flavum and fact hypertrophy. There is associated mild right neural foraminal stenosis. Left neural foramen and spinal canal are patent.

    L4 - L5 There is a disc bulge eccentric to the left where there is a left paracentral annular fissure. There is mild facet hypertrophy, left greater than right. There is mild encroachment upon the traversing L5 nerve roots within both lateral recesses. There is mild neural foaminal stenosis.

    L5 - S1 There is mild disc bulge. No signifcant spinal canal or neural foraminal stenosis.

    IMPRESSION: Mild spondylotic chantes of the mid-lower lumbar spine.

    If anyone has any thoughts,please reply. The pain is increasing in severity. thank you.
    Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi rmk and welcome!

    Although no one here can diagnose you, I'm sure a lot of the members can relate and support you. Utlimately your doc will go over this with you and decide on the next best thing for you and your pain. I hope your pain improves soon!

    Again welcome!
    Chrissy~ WebMD Staff

    Confucius Say;
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    As Chrissy said we cannot diagnose anyone as we are lay people who suffer from some sort of chronic pains. We do have several professional physicians on board but they cannot diagnose you unless they have examined you.

    I noted you are going to follow-up with your PCP on the findings of your MRI - in order to be properly diagnosed and treated you should take your MRI films/written report and see either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they are the best at reading the film results and also at letting you know what your treatment options are (seeing a Spine Specialist does not mean surgery)

    It may be beneficial for you to get opinions from each type of spine specialist - this way you will know what your treatment options are.

    Be sure and ask questions and if you do not understand something ask that they relay the info in layman's terms and also ask about pain management treatments - have them refer you to a good PHYSIATRIST PAIN MANAGEMENT CLINIC as they do go deeper into pain management control using lots of different types of treatments.

    please keep us posted as to what you find out ~~ take care - Joy
    rmk1965 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
    thankyou for your support. I've never really had experience with this type of pain before and I'm struggling to understand the next steps. I'll post updates as I know more. Maybe this could help others with similar pain and findings.

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center