Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
coccyx removal/ doctor please help
Charl1942 posted:
I underwent coccyx removal surgery about 2 months ago. The pain persists. I knew going in that this would be a long and arduous healing process, but I am already becoming disillusioned.

I did my research and found an orthopedic physician who had successfull performed this surgery many times. (The reason I am asking this question here is two-fold. One is to get another opinion and because my surgeon is approximately 90 miles away).
I don't know how I can continue on with this degree of pain. The incision is clear and I have not had any trouble with that. I am wondering whether a TNS unit or any other modality will help. I am sitting for up to 30 minutes at a time, but at leasts twice daily I must resort to taking 15mg of Oxycodone along with doses of neurontin. I also take Aleve and the pain is almost intolerable. That is whether I try to sit, lie down using a heating pad and standing in a warm shower.
If a doctor or patient with any help, please advise. I am nearing my wits end. Thank you in advance.

Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA responded:
The results of surgical coccyx removal vary depending on the reason the surgery was done (old fractured coccyx etc).
Postoperative pain may be worsened and take longer to improve if you required narcotic medications for a long time before the operation and it may simply take a little bit longer to fully recover. It may be counterintuitive but slowly weaning off the medications altogether may be necessary to help with the pain.

Charl1942 replied to Nomaan Ashraf, MD, MBA's response:
Dr. Ashraf,

Thank you for your expert information.

My surgery was done after exhausting all conservative treatment and suffering daily, all day long, for three years. The diagnosis was a hypermoble coccyx.

I will begin gait training and postural education Monday the 9th of Januray. I am planning to start aquatic therapy at the same time to deal with other low back issues.

Thanks again for your response.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center