Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Severe back pain when sitting down
    meghen_stevie posted:
    For about the past six months I have been having severe back pain. It starts at the top of my back between the shoulder blades, then goes to the bottom of my spine and back up. It doesn't hurt when I am laying down or standing up, but the moment I sit down the pain starts up again. It's kind of like a throbbing pulsing sensation deep in my back, that gradually goes to the surface. The most accurate way to describe it is like someone hitting my back with a hammer, up and down my spine. Sometimes when it's worse than normal something happens that I can't really describe very well. You know when watching tv there are sometimes little blips of static? I feel like I'm the tv and those little bits of static are what is happening. It's like for a moment the world get fuzzy and staticky. I'm only 18, so this just seems really weird to be happening to me. I don't play sports, or do anything that could have caused injury. Please help me. I just want the pain to stop.
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    you should make an appointment to see your primary care physician - if you don't have one your parents may be able to help you - or there is a search engine at the top of this page: DOCTORS - you can put in what you are looking for and get a listing (Family Practice is how it's listed usually).

    let your doctor know what is going on - if you can try to remember if you have ever injured your back - even if this was when you were very young. it could be the way you are sitting down - proper posture can help reduce pains from sitting incorrectly - sitting on a knee or part of your leg is not good and also sitting cross-legged is not good.

    your doctor may order some tests - x-ray, MRI, CT Scan etc to get a better look at your back. and depending on what they find will determine if you need to see a spine specialist.

    if insurance is a problem, see if there is a big University Hospital in your area. they do have programs for those that do not have insurance.

    please see your doctor as soon as possible so that, if needed, tests can be done to see what's going on.

    please keep us posted what you find out. take care - Joy
    meghen_stevie replied to bj1208's response:
    Well yesterday I ended up going to the ER because my pain got so bad. I've never hurt my back, and I do try to sit up straight, but it just seems to hurt more. The ER doctor did not know what was happening, and I think because I was alone and not a minor they didn't take me very seriously. I am as of very recently on my own without my parents and living at school. I do not have a primary because I just turned 18. Despite having told the ER doctor numerous times that I've been taking Motrin, that is what she gave me. My back is now causing other problems such as nausea, headache, and trouble focusing on anything but the pain. I'm very worried and starting to think it might be neurological. The pain is immense and I really want it to stop.
    bj1208 replied to meghen_stevie's response:
    you really should see a spine specialist (noted above) this way they can do some tests to see what's going on - you should see if there is a teaching university hospital around and go there - they do have programs for those that do not have insurance.

    we cannot diagnose over the internet - even our in-house physicians cannot do this without examining you - there could be numerous reasons for back problems and the soonest you can be seen the sooner you can have a treatment program.

    please keep us posted - take care - Joy

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center