Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Surgery or not?
backbreaking posted:
65 yr. old female with COPD. Have severe S curve scoliosis. Had surgery when I was 12 or 13 yrs. old and again 20 yrs. ago with rod implants from 5thT to 3rdL. Had a rib removed to use for fuson. Having severe pain at L2/3 and somewhere in the s area. The vertabrae in those two areas is bone on bone. The disc are gone. Dr. says I would have to have major, major surgery. would have to go through the front and back and fuse me into the pelvic area. I don't know whether I would be able to go through this surgery and the rehab afterwards. The only pain relief I get is from prednisone but family dr. doesn't want to put me on it for an extended time. I figure the most I can live is 6 to 10 more years so why not? I would rather have quality life than a pain riddled life. As of right now I am not able to do anything but sit around. It's pretty discouraging. Have had all kinds of shots and RFA,and pain meds with no relief. This wasn't the surgeon who told me this but the Dr. who read the CT scan. He is an Orthopedic surgeon. So any of you have any thoughts? He didn't mention spinal Cord Stimulator or Intrethecal implant. Any thoughts or ideas on this question will be appreciated.
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

when u say he is a Orthopedic Surgeon - is he a Orthopedic Spine Specialist?? there is a big difference between the two -

what i would do is get several opinions - from both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they are the best for back/neck problems -

Also, if you are seeing a Pain Management Specialist you can direct questions to them about implants as they have several spine specialists that they deal with and can direct you to them for consultations.

having surgery or not is a big question and it's really up to you -but you should remember that any surgery is not guaranteed to fix problems - they hope it does -

I hope this helps - let us know what you find out and if the surgeon is a spine specialist - take care - Joy
backbreaking replied to bj1208's response:
Thankyou BJ for your response. He said I would need to go to a large hospital as I would need two or three Dr.'s on my case. He suggested the big Medical Center in Agusta, GA. Mayo Clinic or Shands Medical Center in Gainesville, FL which is a large teaching hospital. I'm thinking of going to the one in Agusta whom he suggested. I just have to call the one who did the CT to set it up. I will post when I find out something. Again, Thanks

Helpful Tips

Relief from Back Pain
I was having pain for a long time when I lay down at night. The pain was on my right side of my back from the bottom of my back up to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center