Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Lower back pain
phere posted:
I am wonder what could cause my lower back to hurt badly when standing over for over 30 mins. Benn dealing with it for about 2 years. The longer i stand, the worse it gets. I take a lot of Ibuprofen, about 16 200mg tablets a day. Its hurting my belly and not helping anymore. I work in a kitchen, pulling 8+hr shifts with no sitting. The pain is almost unbearable, and im constantly moving into different positions while standing to try and ease it. People notice. The pain is still there when sitting, just worse when standing. It is kind of embarrassing. I have psoriasis (diagnosed when i was a kid.) and genital herpes. Should i go to a DR, i mean, im a father of 2, and husband of a mentally disabled wife. My health insurance is bad, at best, and i really cant miss work. We just scrape by. One more thing, like once a month or once every 2 months, i get a SHOCKING pain, like so intense, im crying. I cant put on my pants without screaming. It only lasts about a day, but it is recurring, so i dunno what it is. Im just looking for some input. Thanks in advance.
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

you should see either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - they are the only ones that can diagnose and offer the best treatment plans available - they will more than likely order MRI, CT Scans etc., so they can see what's going on with your back - once that has been diagnosed they can offer treatment options (physical therapy, pain management etc.)

please keep us posted - take care - Joy
phere replied to bj1208's response:
Well, according to my limited-heath care plan, i only have one choice. A Neurology MD that is listed. Should i make an appointment? Or should i just go to a regular doctor.
bj1208 replied to phere's response:
a Neurology MD is not what you need - see if you can get a referral to either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - these are the only ones that can fully diagnose and treat back/'neck problems - if your insurance allows the referral then speak with your primary care physician and have him/her refer you -

they may order tests (MRI, CT Scan etc) so they can see what is going on with your back - and they can offer the best treatment options -

hope this helps - keep us posted - take care - Joy

Helpful Tips

Yoga for Back Pain
My lower back has been causing me issues for a while but starting yoga 1-2 a week has helped quite a bit. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 12 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center