Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need to buy a new bed, Opinions anyone?
suzie2u2 posted:
Hello to all! I have had three - L4,L5 Lamis in the past 10 years and both my husband and I have arthritis in our knees. I still have numbness in my legs when I stand for longer than 10 minutes at a time and therefore can't walk any distances. Sometimes I still have sciatic pain and numbness for hours on end so I am looking for as close to the perfect bed as I can get. Currently, I have the old fashion mattresses with 2 (yes two) three inch memory foam toppers and it is now time to replace our bed and I'm thrilled I finally have the money to do it. Does anyone have any bed that is their favorite and why? Obviously we all have personal opinions but they are very valued from other back pain sufferers. For someone who can't go walking all over town this means a bunch. Thank you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, suzie.

When purchasing a bed, you need to go and lay down on anything you are considering. Most stores that sell bed even encourage that. Make sure that mattress is right for you.

That being said, I will share that one of the best investments my wife and I ever made was in our sleep number bed. Absolutely fantastic for us. Go to one of their stores and try them out if you are interested.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
hi suzie2u2 -

as Dave said you really need to go to the stores and lay on the beds - for about 30 minutes or so - the sales people don't mind - dang when hubby and I shopped we kept going back to the 3 stores we picked and I kept laying on certain mattresses - the sales person and my hubby would sit there and gab! LOL

I finally picked a mattress and we purchased it - but to tell you honestly (have had mattress since Jan 2010) I wished I would have gone with either the sleep number bed or therapudic mattress - one like the commercial shows a glass of wine on the bed and the gal or guy is jumping and the wine glass stays put -

I like my mattress but I've already had to rotate it as there was a sunken in spot where I would sit during the day (can't turn mattress over - didn't get pillow-top on both top/bottom) -

just thought I'd give my $.02 cents worth! take care - Joy

dianer01 responded:
Hi suzi2u2

We have had a memory foam mattress for about 10 years. I love the mattress and find when I am traveling get very frustrated with traditional mattresses or even pillow top mattresses. I find a traditional mattress a little hard on pressure points.

When you decide on a mattress try to find a company which will give you a 14 night or better satisfaction guarantee. This way you have a chance to "road test" the thing.

If I were going to buy a new bed now, I think I would get an adjustable memory foam bed. I think by being able to raise feet I could get some of the comfort of a recliner.

FYI some Embassy Suites Hotels have sleep number beds if you ever want to try one out.

suzie2u2 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave,

Thanks for writing and giving your opinion. I have heard of the sleep number beds. I've seen them in ads but haven't known anyone who has owned one. Can I ask how long you have owned yours and have you had any problems with it? Do they come with a warranty since they are adjustable for repairs if anything goes wrong? I'll have to find a store where they sell them and test them out. I'm really ready for a change.

Have a wonderful night.
Suzie

suzie2u2 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi Joy,

I think I am going to look into the sleep number bed and give it a test drive at least. I'm a bit worried about long term for both sleep number and memory foam so I guess I will try to find reviews on them. If we spend the $$ on them you really want them to last awhile.Yes I agree with flipping you have to be able to flip if you have a regular mattress. Even my memory foam toppers need flipping that is why I'm a bit worried about memory foam in general. It's such a big decision.

Thanks so much for you thoughts. Have a great night.
Suzie

suzie2u2 replied to dianer01's response:
Hi Diane,

I'm glad to hear you have had a memory foam mattress for 10 years now. Can I ask how many inches yours is? Do you have to flip it from time to time and do you have a bottom mattress under it? I loved my memory foam toppers when I first purchased them but after a year or two they started giving us problems. It's almost like they are breaking down b/c we are starting to experience more pain when sleeping. I am just hoping that a true memory foam mattress doesn't have this happen after a few years. Can you give me your feedback?

Great idea about the hotels. I think I have seen some hotels that say in their ads they have sleep number beds.

Thanks & have a great night.
Suzie

dianer01 replied to suzie2u2's response:
I think ours is 12 or 14" I have a foundation under it. Basically a wooden frame covered with fabric. At this point it does have some break down and there is a definate "hump" in the middle. The brand name memory foam beds have a great warranty and that is something I think I would factor into the price. You will pay for it on the front end but if the bed breaks down early, it should be covered by the warranty.

pleasant dreams

davedsel57 replied to suzie2u2's response:
We have owned our sleep number bed for about 4 years. The air pump stopped working about a year ago, but I was able to get them to send a replacement for a small charge. It was a better model than the original, though. The warranty on sleep number beds is 30 years, but each year you own it the replacement value goes down a bit. Still, I feel it was worth every penny and the best bed I have ever slept in.

If your doctor can write a letter stating that you need the bed for your spinal conditions, then you may be able to claim the bed as a medical deduction on your income taxes.

Blessings,

-Dave

davedsel57 replied to davedsel57's response:
Forgot to say that our frame is adjustable - the head and/or feet can be raised. It also vibrates. That was the same cost as the mattress itself but worth it for us. BTW, Sleep Number has a good finance plan.

The Radisson Hotel chain has sleep number beds in their rooms.

Blessings,

-Dave

dianer01 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave

As I recall you get a fair amount of relief from your recliner, do you find the adjustable frame on your bed gives you some of the same relief? I am seriously considering an adjustable frame for my next bed and am wondering if the cost is worth it?

davedsel57 replied to dianer01's response:
Hello, Di.

Yes, I really like the adjustable frame for our bed also. When my wife sleep together at night we keep the frame flat (not separate like the mattress is), but when I take a nap during the day in bed I will adjust the mattress to my liking. Well worth the extra cost, IMHO.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hi Dave - well you really have sold me on this!!! LOL think I will check into this as I really could use it for my back/leg problems - when I sleep at nite I have enough pillows propping me up and then under my legs so I look like I'm in a recliner in bed!! LOL

thanks again for your input!!

My best to u and ur wife - be sure to get house keeper!!! take care - Joy

suzie2u2 replied to dianer01's response:
Diane,

Thanks for the information. I was checking out the Tempurpedic online site to get an idea of pricing and options. I had no idea the Tempurpedic beds can be just as expensive as the sleep number beds. Now that I have an idea what I want to look at I can find a dealer in the area and go lay on some beds. I definately want to find a bed with a good warranty.

Have a great weekend.

suzie2u2 replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave,

I spent the day today surfing online and yes I checked out the website for sleep number beds. They have a nice site that outlines just about everything. All I forgot to do was to look for a dealer here locally so I can go try out some beds. I would love the adjustable frame I just don't know if I can afford it. I will have to see. I'll see what they have to offer in the finance plans at the stores. My husband came home in between jobs today and told me we need to go look at beds soon so I know the bed is bothering him now too. Guess I need to drag myself to the store and get shopping. That is the bad thing about back pain, numbness in your legs, etc. I can't enjoy shopping like I used to since it is so painful. At least the bed will give me something wonderful to come home and rest on.
Thanks for all your input.

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 28 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center