An_244286 posted:

Take the Poll

DO THE MEDS SEEM COMPARABLE TO THE CONDITIONS
  • SEEMS LIKE TOO MANY MEDS
  • SEEMS ABOUT RIGHT
vote
View Poll Results

jenlewi responded:
When I go for treatment for my back, I want it fixed, not drugs to mask the problem. I might feel differently if there were more wrong with my back, but as it is, I can get relief from getting my back aligned properly most of the time, and I far prefer that to pills I have to choke down that make me feel stupid. (Probably why one month of meds lasts me four months.)

trs1960 replied to jenlewi's response:
They can fix knees, re do noses tuck a little here and there, but there is no fix for a bad back. If your lucky you will never know what true chronic back pain is. If you suffer from true chronic back pain than it will likely be a partner the rest of your life.

People with a single disk gone can get disc replacements with some luck and minor nerve impengments can be releived often removing the source of pain.

It's not that doctors don't want to fix you, they would love to stop the pain that we feel, modern medicine just simply isn't there yet.

For 12 years I've been hearing that that in 2-5 years there will be a quantum change in pain treatment...I'm still waiting.

davedsel57 replied to trs1960's response:
I'm waiting for the day when they can do entire spine transplants. Each birthday and Christmas I ask my wife to get me a new spine, but she just can't seem to find one in my size.

Of course, just joking.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
hi - I can tell you that the big university hospital in my area is doing spine transplants!!!!! BUT they are doing them on mice and so far they have been having great results -

so I think it would be a matter of a few years maybe 10 for when they start to do this on people!! I keep researching their sites each day to check progress - so keep praying and keep fingers crossed!!

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
Artificial discs are used on humans, the problem is they want the perfect patient. A persone with one bad disc and an otherwise healthy spine. This way they can fix the one disc and have a success story. Most of us have damage spread across considerable areas of the spine so it will be 50 years until they offer up something for us.

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
agree but the success stories i've been reading about the whole spine transplants in the mice is very promising and I wouldn't doubt it if this university does the first human one within about 10 years maybe sooner - my cousin told me to check their website as she heard they were working on this towards humans and thought they had already done some - i sent her a text saying: LOL they are doing it on mice/rats!!! well guess that's closer to our spines than anything right now - so all we can do is hope - my spine is getting bad all the way up - they see DDD in the C-spine area and I have problems in the T-spine too not to mention my worst part being the L-spine -

keeping the faith~~

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I know they're working on great stuff from replacements to DNA level pain treatment that will literally turn the pain signal off. I just don't think we'll ever benefit from such treatments. It will be many years until human studies are done and by then we'll be checking out new dentures!

carlmalko responded:
When deciding on a treatment option for pain caused by a disc problem, it is important to consider the nature of the surgical solution rather than either ruling out surgery completely or jumping to it as an ideal solution. For example, the typical surgery to address radiating leg pain for a herniated disc is a microdiscectomy, a surgery with a high success rate in immediately relieving the leg pain with a relatively short recovery time.

georgia888 replied to carlmalko's response:
Is anyone out there able to comment on what spine conditions can be treated with non-invasive surgical procedures? I'm thinking down the road......

Thank you,
georgia

trs1960 replied to georgia888's response:
Georgia, I recommend you read a book titled, The Art of Healing Back Pain Naturally.
The auther is Dr. Art Brownstien MD. He is an orthopedic surgeon that injured his spine and found himself in the same boat as his patients. In pain and completely frustrated with the care he was getting. He had the event of being the patient and asking the his doctor why can't you stop my pain!

He then spent years researching all forms of treatment both holistic and conventional medicine.

If you want non invasive treatment this would be a great resource.

I think I paid under $20 through Amazon

Best of luck.

Tim

Helpful Tips

Strech
streching every hour helps More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center