Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Back Pain
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
When you're having back pain, going to the doctor can be intimidating. You might feel rushed and forget to ask some important questions about your back pain . It's always a good idea to know what to ask beforehand and to take notes during your doctor visit. Some of the questions below about back pain and its treatment may be worth asking. Print out this page and take it with you to your next appointment.

1. What's causing my back pain?
  2. Are there any other symptoms I should be aware of that could indicate a more serious condition?
  3. Are there activities I should temporarily or permanently avoid to ease back pain?
  4. Could my work environment be affecting my back pain?
  5. How much bed rest should I get while I'm suffering back pain?
  6. What treatment options should I consider for my back pain?
  7. How long should I take medication or do special exercises for back pain?
  8. Are there alternative therapies that I should consider?
  9. How long will it take before I notice results, less back pain?
  10. What can I do to prevent back pain from persisting or returning?
Don't forget to vist our Pain Management Health Center for more information.
Chrissy~ WebMD Staff

Confucius Say;
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

bj1208 responded:
Chrissy - that's wonderful notes to be taking along with the appointments.

One that I would also suggest is: If the spine doctor is not giving you to the time or answers ALWAYS go for another opinion.

there are too many times we get caught up thinking we are seeing the right kind of doctor and they just don't seem to think our spine issues are good enough to be seen by them. I know I have seen a couple of those when I first started having back problems and thinking something has to be wrong to be in that much pain and also could hardly walk/sit/stand/drive etc.,

thanks again for putting these tips~~

Joy

davedsel57 responded:
Excellent. A perfect reminder to all that we are in charge of our health care and our bodies. We need to be proactive and do our research and go to doctor appointments prepared with questions. Remember, also, that as Joy says we should be willing to go to different doctors for various opinions.

I've seen my share of bad doctors as well, and I've always simply never gone back to that doctor.

Thank you for posting this valuable information, Chris.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 responded:
I agree, I always try to take a note with the important points I want to make sure I need to discuss with my doctor. My doc and I tend to converse about all kinds of things to do with my injury and if I don't have a reminder I can forget to mention some of the important questions I have.

My only disagreement I have is with question No.1. Most doctors shy away from that question as it's not a simple concept. I used to think doctors were close to malpractice for not answering that very question. 10 years of studying pain, working with pain managment MDs, PHDs, DOMs and learning of the relationship of the brain and body and I'm starting to undersand the way the brain processes pain.

Remember, pain and your injury may be two seperate issues. This is why so many back surgery patients are stabalized, but their pain is not alleviated.

It's not that doctors don't want to give you an answer, it's just that pain is subjective. If it's acute the answer is likely straightforward, but if the pain is chronic the answer is anything but simple.

That being said, the question still needs to be asked. I wonder if it may be mor productive to ask if the doc thinks your pain may be nerve damage, disc damage, muscle spasm etc instead of asking such a broad question with the expectation of a answer that can be given in a minute or two?

Not trying to disagree.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center