Skip to content
Upper back numbness with tingling
phantomcabbie posted:
Hi all,

For a few months now if I sit or stand a certain way, this spot on my upper back below the shoulder goes numb and then the area around my armpit starts tingling, like pins and needles. At first it was just every once in awhile, not it is almost constant. I also have other back pain in several other places but that is mostly due to being overweight and working a job that requires me to be on my feet all day running around. The tingling is definitely the worst part as it is very unnerving, pardon the pun. waiting for my insurance to come through before I go to the doc. Just curious if anyone had any similar problems. Thanks
davedsel57 responded:

Please read through this Tip that is at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain:

Several of us with chronic back problems have experienced similar symptoms. Since it is against the rules here to diagnose or offer any medical advice, you will need to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment. The Tip I gave you a link to describes this process.

Please come back and update us after you get a diagnosis.

I pray you can get relief soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.


bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

Dave has given you great advise - these tips are at the beginning of this page and have a thumb tack next to it -

One thing I would like to mention - if you have back problems in your middle or lower back, even years of improper standing can cause an alignment problem for the upper back.

but you do need to be seen by either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist and have proper tests done (MRI, CT Scans) and get a full diagnosis of your back problems - they are the only ones that can properly read the test results and give diagnosis.

there are lots of us that have similar problems but it's best to have this checked out - we are not allowed to diagnose anyone and even our in-house physicians cannot diagnose over the internet without being seen. there could be numerous reasons this is happening so being seen for diagnosis is the best thing.

please keep us posted - take care - Joy

Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center