Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Non-surgical spinal decompression
agc35 posted:
Hello everyone!
I was just sent some information on non-surgical spinal decompression after requesting it from an ad in the paper that promised "amazing results and a pain free life" I never heard about this and didn't know it existed-all I know is it sound way to good to be true.
Has anyone tried this non-surgical spinal decompression?
:)

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I'm not sure if this is referring to the inversion tables - I cannot have any of this done as I had my disc removed and have hardware in place.

I did find a site that may help explain it better- this is from an actual physicians office where they do this:

http://www.americanspinal.com/non-surgical-spinal-decompression.html

what I would do is google this non surgical treatment as there were many sites to go to and see what you think - research is the key factor here -

hope this helps - take care- Joy

agc35 replied to bj1208's response:
Hi!
Thanks so much for the link-I appreciate it! Going to be asking my Pain Management Doc and see what he says!

Rafael Levin, MD, MSc responded:
There is some truth to your statement that it sounds too good....there really isn't any good evidence based data in the medical literature to demonstrate significant long term benefit, especially in patients with moderate or severe stenosis. On the other hand, it is generally safe and is unlikely to hurt you unless you have severe stenosis in which case I have seen patients who felt worse from the treatment.

You can try this intervention, but please don't have false expectations of a miraculous long term sustained improvement. I wish you all the very best.

agc35 replied to Rafael Levin, MD, MSc's response:
Dear Dr. Levin,
I just wanted to thank you for your response and well wishes-I really appreciate it!
Amy

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center