Skip to content
Spondylitis
Debsbears posted:
Hi I am new here and thought I would ask some questions if that is okay?

I had a 7 cervical vertebrae surgery C3 to T1 last year and just found out it was because of Cervical Spondylitis. I was literally crushing my spinal cord in 5 places when they did the surgery.

The surgery is a success I am no longer touching the spinal cord, but the Cervical Spondylitis is still there. More recently I had xrays, mri's and blood tests and confirmed Ankylosing spondylitis as well. The reveled a natural fusion of T4-T7.

I do have much more wrong with me feel free to look in diabetes community profile under Debsbears, I recently changed my user name from teddybear200. There are many posts under the recent name entilted Medical Mystery (part 1......)

Just wondering if anyone else has this and what do they do for it?

davedsel57 responded:
Hi, Deb! Welcome to the Back Pain Community.

Cervical Spondylitis is one of the few spinal conditions I do not have. I'm sure others will be along eventually that may provide some advice.

Read through the Tip at the top of this WebMD Back Pain Community that lists the recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. There is also a link in that Tip to another Tip that is no longer pinned to the top that lists good websites for spinal information.

Keep doing your research, keep moving as much as possible and keep a positive attitude.

I pray you get the answers and relief you need soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Debsbears replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave thank you very much for suggesting the tips.

Debsbears responded:
Hey Dave apparently spondylitis isn't something anyone else has dealt with or no one can give me tips. Thanks for your help.

georgia888 replied to Debsbears's response:
Hello Deb,
Spondylosis is another fancy word for Osteoarthritis (OA), which many of my joints suffer from including the cervical spine. I've also been blessed with Fibromyalgia, a syndrome that often coexists with OA.

Seeing as you are inquiring about the cervical spine, I will share with you what I find helpful in managing the OA in this part of my body. Firstly, if you use a computer on a regular basis, be sure your set up is an ergonomic one. You will find lots of info online covering this subject. If you must sit at the computer for an extended period of time, be sure to get up & move around at least every 20 minutes. A physiatrist I visited a few years ago suggested I do periodic rotatings of my head: from side-to-side, left-to-right, chin-to-chest, ear-to-shoulder, etc. If this isn't clear, I'm sure you can search online for such exercises. I hold each position to the count of 10 & repeat all exercises a few times a day.

To help with my body-wide pain & stiffness, I visit a warm water therapeutic pool at the gym. I am no longer working & start each & every day at the pool. The buoyancy of the water allows for greater flexibility & helps with mobility issues throughout the day. I can't say enough good about the pool.

Always be mindful about your posture as good posture is crucial in keeping the spine in line.

I hope this helps.

georgia

davedsel57 replied to georgia888's response:
Hello, Georgia. Thank you for your excellent input.

Deb, I've been under so much stress lately I did not process the term "spondylitis" properly in my weak brain. Of course, I have this condition in my entire spine including my neck. I'm sorry. Georgia got it perfectly correct.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Debsbears replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia thanks for replying - I didn't know it was just OA Drs don't tell us everything.

I appreciate the fact that we are to do certain exercises, however I had a complete neck fusion involving 7 vertebrae and I am no longer able to turn, bend or move my neck side to side. I have 10 screws and 2 rods holding my neck together.

My fusion was done because I was crushing my spinal cord in 5 places and not getting spinal fluid to my brain causing me to pass out on a regular basis.

I have a postural traction brace I wear everyday to keep things okay.

Thank you for your help.

Debsbears replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave is it okay - sorry to hear you are under so much stress I will be praying for you.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center