Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain Management Appointment Today
davedsel57 posted:
Hello, everyone.

I had an appointment with a physiatrist this morning. He has been treating my wife and I decided to get an appointment with him to evaluate my spinal conditions.

Unfortunately, there is nothing more that can be done. I am on an anticoagulant (blood thinner) due to a history of multiple blood clots. My primary doctor has warned that I should never go off this medication unless it is for major surgery. I would have to stop taking the blood thinner for a few days before any procedure such as epidural or facet block injections. The physiatrist felt that the success rate of these procedures does not warrant the risk of my suspending the blood thinner and running the risk of getting more blood clots.

The recommendation is to continue with conservative treatments unless my conditions present an emergency situation (paralysis, complete loss of bladder or bowel functions, etc.). I am disappointed and discouraged, but it is OK. For now, I will keep on keeping on with what I have been doing.

My wonderful wife had an appointment with him following mine. She was going to have a nerve conductivity test, but she no longer has the symptom of her hands going numb due to physical therapy. He examined her and determined she is making good progress in her neck and lower back with the pt and there was no need to do the test. She was very relieved as she was somewhat nervous about having this test performed.

Hope you are all having a blessed and wonderful Wednesday.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bj1208 responded:
Hey Dave -

WOW~~~Am sorry there is nothing they can do for you - I fully understand how upsetting this can be for you especially when you are looking at all avenues of pain management. But am happy that he sees what you have been doing and getting results.

Am happy ur wife didn't have to have the test done as the do "smart" a little - glad she is doing well and that the physical therapy treatments are going good -

I have to say, I think you guys have found a really great Physiatrist Pain clinic - they are a gem when you do find one that really listens to you and looks out for your best interest -

thanks for letting us know how ur appointments went - take care - Joy

dianer01 responded:
Dave:

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment but very pleased to hear of your wife's progress.

I truly respect this doctor though for not taking unnecessary chances and trying to be the "hero" potentially at your expense.

my heart goes out to you, and I hope you can find some resolution to your pain.

di

trs1960 responded:
I too am sorry to hear of your temporary impass. Don't let it stop you as standing still is relative motion in reverse.

I think possibly (IMHO) a physiatrist may not be the right path for you. His comments sound loke those of a physiatrist. His work with you wife is spot on using PT to rehabilitate and health her improveher health. You sound like a more complex case and one that requires someone with in depth knowledge of internal medicine and pharmacology.

I'm not sure what path to take, but I think you have some knowledge to start searching for the right help.

Unforetuntely, for many of us there is no way to improve our health so we're left with improving our quality of life. This too is an adjustment in attitude. It takes acceptance to understand that you've done all you can do in one avenue, but you're not giving up. My old PMs PA told me one day, "you need to accept that the old Tim has died and the new Tim needs to move on. Until you accept that you will not be able to close one chapter of your life book and start the next." She really struck a chord. I thought I was already doing what she said, but I wasn't quite there.

God bless you dave an keep looking for a path to maximize your quality of life.

Tim

davedsel57 responded:
Thanks for all your support, folks.

My wife and I were just discussing this and I've decided to pursue physical therapy with the place she is going. My wife talked to her therapist, who is a dpt (doctorate in physical therapy) and she think they can help me by showing me how to build core strength and increase my range of motion. They will probably have to do my therapy in their pool, but that would be great. Our health insurance does cover physical therapy and I do not need a referral, so I'm calling tomorrow to make an appointment.

I talk a lot about keeping a positive attitude, etc, but this pain stuff is a real pain in my dupa (Polish word for rear) both figuratively and literally. So, I'll try a new-for-me avenue of treatment and see what happens.

Hope you are all having a great day.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
I hear you dave. I'moften remindinded of Flo in finding Nemo. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

Not a whole lota options.

Hang in there.

Tim

davedsel57 responded:
Very frustrated - the physical therapy office called about 4:00 pm to confirm my 9:00 am appointment tomorrow. She said "bring your referral and script". I said we don't need referrals with our health care plan. She said "but you need a script from your doctor". First I heard of this and I made the appointment last week - the receptionist even called last Friday to confirm insurance info but never mentioned any need for a script. I cancelled for tomorrow morning and was furious. My wonderful wife Fayrda called our primary doctor's office and they are working on getting a script, but it won't be until tomorrow. I am so tired of the health care hoops we all have to go through to get the care we need. Grrrrrr.

Hope you are all having a great day.

Blessings,

-Dave

Debsbears replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave sorry that you are having a rough go at this. I hope you can get the script tomorrow so you can reschedule. My prayer go out to you. Deb.

davedsel57 replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you very much, Deb. Much needed and appreciated.

Blessings,

-Dave

davedsel57 responded:
My wonderful wife has worked her usual magic with the telephone and got my primary doctor's office to fax a script to the physical therapy office. I have an appointment for the initial evaluation for pt tomorrow at noon.

Have a blessed and wonderful Wednesday, friends.

Blessings,

-Dave

davedsel57 responded:
Great news - The physical therapist feels she can help me have less chronic pain and more functionality. She will be working with me in the pool for the next few weeks. My wonderful wife and I will have our sessions together, though she does not work out in the pool. Our appointment is at 5:30 next Tuesday 5/22, and we will go Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next several weeks. I have more hope than I have had in years and I am so thankful.

Blessings,

-Dave

dianer01 replied to davedsel57's response:
Great News Dave!

I am glad to hear this. A little improvement goes a long way.

di

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hope is the best 4 letter word in the dictionary. It has so much power; it can cure, it can bring a smile, it can break records and win championships.

Never lose hope for without out it you have already suffered defeat.

God Bless you Dave.

Tim

davedsel57 replied to trs1960's response:
Thanks for you support, Di and Tim. We'll see how the sessions go. I am really looking forward to getting therapy in the pool.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to davedsel57's response:
Hey Dave~~

That is fantastic news!!!! I am very happy that you have found a good PT that may help reduce your pains and I pray this will work very well for you -

please keep us posted - take care - Joy

Helpful Tips

Mikey626
I would check with your local health department to see if they have any free clinics to start with. They will also be able to assist you in ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center