Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Muscular LBP with little pain?
An_245605 posted:
I recently went to a doctor for pain in my lower back but mostly for cracking noises my shoulder constantly makes that sound like the muscles are rubbing together. He said the cracking noises are nothing but then I showed him the point in my lower back on my spine that sometimes felt like a bruise when touched and that I had pulled something in my lower back by doing a dead lift a couple months earlier. He felt around and took and x-ray. Then he told me I tore the ligaments that connect my muscles to my spine and gave me 6-8 weeks of physical therapy. I was kind of surprised with this diagnosis considering the pain wasn't that bad and I could still participate in sports with no pain. My sister had also gone to this doctor with a herniated disk and he gave her no physical therapy. I guess my question is if the doctor would be able to diagnose this by just feeling around my back or if its a misdiagnosis. I am going to physical therapy soon and I'm just worried that I will be going for no reason because sometimes I can't feel the bruise-type pain and I won't know what to tell the PT if I can't feel it during our session. Thanks!

trs1960 responded:
Docotrs are always guessing, but when you tell them how it happemed and what the reslutant pin nehavior is, thier guess are based on years of shcooling and years of working with patients and their injuries.

That's what you call an educated guess. Sometimes thier wrong, but it's the best chance you've got.

Iif they have a real concern they'll call for further testing/screening such as an MRI, but such tests are expensive and if not needed requesting such testing unecessarily just adds to the problems of our healthcare problems. Most muscle strains if treated well will heal up in a few weeks to 30 days.

So many people get a strain and are then told, "you need to tell the doctor to have an MRI done..." Such behavior just drives healthcare costs up. This is why copays have gone up. It's not to directly shift costs to the consumer it's to get the consumer to understand the costs of treatments and to step back and try reasonable remadies with reasonable time before running to the doc and demanding expensive treatment.

It is for this reaon that I am taking my leave from WenMD. I just disagree too much with so many of the comments and I don't want to be the antagonist. This is a good place with good people, but I typically have a different opinion.

Tim

davedsel57 replied to trs1960's response:
Tim,

Surely you realize that it is against the rules as well as impossible to diagnose or give medical advice in any WebMD community. There are standard recommended steps for diagnosing and treating back pain. One of those steps would be for the patient to get some type of diagnostic imaging to help a doctor develop an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan.

There is no way for any of us to tell exactly what is causing someone's pain. It could be muscular. It could be any number of spinal conditions. Our only responsible reply can be to recommend that the poster see a doctor.

I'm sorry if you disagree with the advice I give or any of us give in this WebMD Back Pain Community. We do the best we can based on our own experiences and research as lay people.

Your valuable input will be missed.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave. I completely agree with you about not giving medical advice and I think you and I similarly use caveats accordingly. That's why I went through great pains discussing (arguing) with the guy pushing cough syrup (DMX) and pot without medical oversight. I loved his factual presentation of arguements, but just disagreed with his premise.

Like I said, I don't want to be the antaganonist, it goes against my basic tenant.

I respect this place and all of you involved greatly, this is why I'd rather just back away than end up in opposition to something good.

Please don't take this personal, I wanted to talk to you off line and I setup a throaway email account as you suggested and then you closed the door. The only way to communicate here is on a post in front of the world.

I respect your privacy and understand not accepting my offer, but I wanted some offline conversations to better align our thinking or at least discuss it.

I feel terribly for anyone suffering in pain. I will not pick a fight with them, I want to put my arm around them and help. So if I disagree on answers it will eventually turn to friction and I don't want that.

You guys are great. You, Joy and Chrissy have a special place in my heart.

Tim

If history is an indicator I'm sure I will keep an eye on this place and if something catches my eye my fingers are at times disconnected from my brain and just start typing replies

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
edit add: When I say align our thinking I wasn't speaking of you personally. Typically you and I are very close in our assessments and advice. As I recall I usually agree with you and just add maybe another option.

So when I say align our thinking I meant that as a conversation to discuss the global concepts of all participants.

bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
hey guys - please remember we have been close friends on this support group for a number of years - I've been here for 6 yrs and I know you each have been here longer - and also DI - as long as the WEBMD main people -

I would hate to have one or both of you stop helping those that need it just over some misunderstandings - and there have been times that I have given the wrong type of suggestion to a newbie and have had one or both of you or even DI intervene and advise properly. it dos happen and I appreciate all the extra help that I have learned over the years from all of you - and i mean that - so let this be a lessen to us all that sometimes our words speak more than maybe we want but there is always another member to help further the suggestions.

Love u all - Joy

davedsel57 replied to bj1208's response:
I'm honestly not understanding fully Tim's reasons for leaving or reducing activity here.

I will say that WebMD has become more of a source of stress for me rather than enjoyable. I have communicated my frustrations multiple times via e-mail with WebMD and I see no real changes. People come to the WebMD communities looking for an on-line diagnosis and the disclaimers that it is both impossible and against the Terms Of Service to do that are not clearly visible. Frankly, I am tired or replying that we can not do that, please read the Tip at the top of this community, etc. It seems that only 50% of the people find that Tip helpful, and I honestly think that only 10% of the people coming here for the first time read that tip.

I have been a member for 10 years and have seen many versions of the message board software be implemented. Each time they have "upgraded", more regular members are lost and those that remain get frustrated like myself. This is common in many of the communities, not just this Back Pain community.

There, I have publicly vented feelings I have had regarding WebMD for years. This post may very well be deleted and I would be fine with that. In light of all this, I will be taking an extended bread from WebMD. There is already enough stress and drama in my personal life without finding even more in an internet message board.

My prayers are with you all for managing your health as best as you can.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to davedsel57's response:
Dave - I understand your frustrations - seems we are repeating ourselves quite a lot - but sometimes we have to remember that these new people are in pain and don't know any better~~

and I understand you wanting to take a break - you have a lot going on with your personal life and sometimes the break is needed -

I will truly miss u as u always know I appreciate all you have done and all your knowledge - please don't stay away too long -

there are times people do come here to vent - as i do sometimes cause of pains or things going on - it's part of life -

luv u - take care - Joy

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I think my answer was deleted...maybe it didn't upload??

It was a perfectly written letter describing all of the world's problems with well defined solutions attached...ok, it was just a note to say how much I do apreciate you guys and I'm not upset with any individual.

I want to back away before my frustration leads to any antagonism between good people

...and you are good people!

Tim

davedsel57 replied to trs1960's response:
OK, now I get it. Please bear with me as I am half Welsh and sometimes process information slower than the average person. The Polish half usually kicks in eventually and the lights go on.

You are feeling exactly what I am, Tim. I see it in my replies and I don't want to be "one of those type of posters". I want to help people but there are times I just can't give as much as I would like.

Moving on, I will still be taking a break but perhaps not quite as long as I thought originally.

You are good people too, Tim.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
Does that mean you'r half Welsh Pony :-0

I guess that would give you the corner market when the grandkids come over asking for pony rides!!

God Bless...I'll be back when I can be a positive influence.

dianer01 replied to trs1960's response:
Hi Guys,

There is nothing wrong with healthy, respectful debate and I do value the opinions of others, even if they are not mine. I sometimes step back because I do not have the same experiences as others and my knowledge is somewhat limited.

I look forward to everyone returning soon, refreshed and ready to help save the world!

di

bj1208 replied to dianer01's response:
hey everyone - just wanted to say HAPPY HUMP DAY~~~

Joy

davedsel57 replied to bj1208's response:
Happy Hump Day to you and everyone, Joy.

I pray you are all having a blessed and wonderful Wednesday, friends.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center