Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
6th Lower Lumbar Vertebrae
CaressFromGod posted:
Good morning,

My name is Karyssa, I'm 21 and found out about 2 months ago that I have an extra vertebrae right above my tail bone. I don't really have any severe issues with it other than the fact that my tail bone is two inches lower than it should be. I'm very thin, and don't really have cushioning when I sit down. That means that every time I sit, its directly on my tail bone.

I asked my chiropractor what to do, and she said to try leaning forward when I sit. I know that there probably isn't much else to be done, but does anyone else have any other suggestions? I don't really want to be sitting on a pillow, but its hard to stay leaning forward at my desk job.

Also, is there anything I can do to get better sleep? I think my spine goes in and out of alignment when I sleep and it hurts pretty bad sometimes. I've tried harder and softer mattresses, but it doesn't help much. I really don't want to settle for a temporary solution that messes me up in the long run. Thanks!

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

there really is nothing that you can do since this is not causing severe chronic pains. However, there are a couple of things to do:

1) Yes using a pillow to sit more comfortable is necessary - most of us that have chronic back pains do use a pillow. when I go out to eat I cannot sit in a chair - has to be a booth. If I do sit in a chair I usually get up and walk around. people do stair but I do walk with a cane and have a leg brace on my left leg.

2) when sleeping at night try using a good pillow between your knees when sleeping on your side, or under you knees when sleeping on your back. this will help keep your spine more straight when you sleep.

I hope this helps - maybe seeing a physical therapist may also offer some other ideas.

take care - Joy

CaressFromGod replied to bj1208's response:
Joy,

That actually does help. Thank you! I don't think I ever put much thought into a booth vs. a chair, but thinking of it now that's a great idea!

And the pillow thing? Thank you! I'll be sure to try that tonight!

Its really a great feeling to know I'm not alone.

Perhaps I'll finally get over myself and start carrying a pillow in my purse.

Thank you so much Joy!

Blessings,
Karyssa

trs1960 replied to CaressFromGod's response:
OK, I've got to jump in her to help out.

This condition is present in about 10% of the population Remember there's over 3 million people in the US, so do the math and you're certainly not alone!). There are olympic figure skaters and olympic boxers with a 6th lumbar. It has to do with the way the body develops from an embryo. The tail bone can have 5-7 vertabrae (they don't have discs like the vertabrae above so they don't flex) it just depends on develpment. We're not built in factories with inspector #12 counting each bone so enjoy life and be proud that youu are a 10 percenter

My own daughter was diagnosed with a 6th lumbar a few months ago. The MRI later revealed this to be false, but in the mean time I started researching so study up on the condition and depending how the vertabrae and facet joints developed you may not have any serious issues, you may even have a flexibility advantage.

Of all the people in my short research, that complained of pain; they all had a signifigant accident in common. I think it likely the accident they had would have caused them pain regardless of the extra vertabrae.

Best of luck.

Tim

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center