Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Additional info. to my previous post
    gs350 posted:
    Also, besides my current pain situation I am having sharp pain in my pelvic area with burning in my testicles and groin. Since my fusion in 2005 my sexual activity has become even more difficult to perform. I have erection problems and I am sure you get the point.

    Please see previous post and my need to learn if the Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft was used during my surgery
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    first - GET ANOTHER OPINION ASAP- from either an Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - or better get one from each - this way you will know what you are up against. A new MRI or CT Scan will be required if it's been more than a year. You should also see your primary care physician - he/she can also refer you to a good spine specialist. But you should do this ASAP.

    second - I would request all medical records from the hospital and from the surgeon - these are your records and you should not have any problems obtaining them. the medical records from the surgeon and the hospital should tell you what was used as this is mandatory. then you can find out further what needs to be done.

    third - seeing a good pain management clinic will help - I prefer seeing a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management Physician - here's link describing what they do -

    A PHYSIATRIST Pain Management Clinic will go to the underlying problem of pains and work with the best treatment options - they can work with you on your spine pains as well as the nerve issues. There are 2 very good meds available for nerve damage pains - Neurontin (Gabapentin is generic) or Lyrica. they are both very good at reducing nerve pains.

    you can click on my name or pic and read my story - I had a single fusion L5-S1 in 2/2008. My surgery was a success as I have fused 100% and bone actually started to grow by my 3rd month post op (surgeon stated I had fused 100% by my 6th week post op!!). even though my surgery was a success I have worse pains than before my surgery and also, my disc had ruptured and splintered with part of the splinters was pressing on the S1 nerve root on both left and right side. the damage was severe enough where the nerve roots did not heal. I have been taking Gabapentin now for about 3-4 yrs and believe me it really helps the nerve pains. If I miss a dose (I take 3600mg daily 1/2 in morn and 1/2 at nite) I will start to notice increased pains/numbness/tingling in my legs so this med really works well for me. there are others on this support group that take Lyrica and have the same benefit.

    Please keep us posted as to what you find out - seeing the right spine specialists will help you and also obtaining the medical records - be sure to get any and all MRI's, CT Scans etc., as sometimes they do take some sort of pics during surgeries to make sure they are getting it in place.

    take care - Joy
    charl1942 responded:
    I am wondering if a urologist should be contacted. This specialty deals with the problems you have mentioned. My husband found the urologist has been helpful. Just wondering if you are taking medication for high blood pressure and/or other medications can be culprits. I might be completely off base here, but those are my two cents worth. Disregard if I am treading in muddy waters.
    bj1208 replied to charl1942's response:
    Hey Charl - good to see you back on WEBMD -

    I think first he should see his/her primary care physician to be examined and if needed the doc will refer him to a specialist as there are some insurance companies that require the primary physician to write a referral if seeing a doctor of a medical specialty.

    the primary physician and a spine specialist should be taken care of together or as close as possible as the main complaint seems to be focused on a previous back surgery.

    and No you are not treading muddy waters as you know we always welcome everyones' 2 cents worth~~it's what makes us a stronger support group -

    thanks - take care - Joy

    Helpful Tips

    Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center