Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    results of mri
    Lauralizzie01 posted:
    went in to get my mri results... was supposed to wait till june 11, a full month after the test. ive been miserable so i called and they fit me in today. basicallyi have three bulging discs (after the bottom tailbone disks, the next three) and pretty bad spurs on at least two of the bones. hopefully going to try epidural injections before my train trip to utah the 23rd, possibly facet joint injections... he said surgery could be done but in 2-3 years itd look the same. im too young for this crap wtf!
    Lauralizzie01 responded:
    oh yeah he switched me off the norco and onto codine, really wants me to try it, so i am. if it doesnt cut it, we will try percocet
    bj1208 replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
    hi lauralizzie01

    the 3 bulging discs that you have are named and since it's the 3 from tailbone up they are: L5, L4 and L3 - bone spurs do hurt and what your surgeon means that it would be the same in 2-3 years is if they go in and remove bone spurs they can and usually do grow back. hopefully the injections will help.

    when you say they took you off norco and put you on codeine what type? there are several diffeent types of pain meds that have codeine in them.

    the norco is hydrocodone and tylenol and percocet is oxycodone and tylenol and the codeine can be by itself or mixed with tylenol - this way you know what's what as far as the pain meds.

    Now for your spine problems - what type of physician did you see? there are 2 spine specialist that are the only ones that can fully read and diagnose spine problems - Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. It would be beneficial for you to get another opinion - this way you know what you are up against.

    Seeing a good pain management clinic is also beneficial - a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management Clinic will go deeper into pain management control by going to the underlying problem. here's link describing what they are and what they do:

    this site also has a lot of information on spine conditions and you can research a lot regarding your spine problems.

    Hope tis helps - please keep us posted - take care - Joy
    Lauralizzie01 replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
    its tylenol 3, i believve the script said 60 mg of codeine with 300 mg of tylenol. i had been on the hydrocodone for fibro, it just isnt cutting it now with the spine issues. my previous dr had me on percocet for a few yearsbefore it became so controlled. i remember it helping way more. honestly id like to try something time released, im having a lot of trouble at night waking up between three and four in misery, and then cant get back to sleep bc of the fibromyalgia. im hoping if meds kept the pain under control i wouldnt be waking up. plius from what im reading time release is better for chronic pain, and at this point im realizing this is going to be a lifelong issue, i might as well figure out a way to control my pain.
    bj1208 replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
    hi again -

    you may have tylenol #4 - that has 60mg codeine and 300mg tylenol. tylenol #3 has 30mg codeine and 300mg tylenol

    the tylenol family is pretty much on the lowest pain medication. you were actually taking stronger meds with the vicodin and percocet.

    what type of doctor is prescribing your pain meds? I think you will get more help if you go to a PHYSIATRIST Pain Clinic as they go to the underlying problem and work with you on that. I gave you the site explaining what and who they are in my previous post to you. they do have lots of different treatment plans and can go over those with you.

    hope this helps - take care - Joy
    Lauralizzie01 replied to bj1208's response:
    joy... after double chevking, he is a physiatrist pm dr. finding the tylenol and codeine is not doing much for the pain and about three hours after taking it im knocked on my butt, cant stay awake. no can do with work. so ill try tomorrow calling and hopefully we can try a dif med. im thinking i will wait until after my vaca to do anything... dont want to risk a miserable vaca... i can live with it like this, with meds.
    Anon_160307 replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
    You should request a medication that doesn't have tylenol in it, period. The tylenol taken everyday over the long term is not good for your liver and can lead to liver damage or liver failure. Tylenol containing products include: Vicodin, Norco, Percocet, Ultracet, Tylenol #3 and #4.

    I take generic Oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain. It is the same medicine in Percocet but without the toxic tylenol.
    Anon_160307 replied to Anon_160307's response:
    PS: The Norco or Vicodin that you were prescribed previously was stronger than the tylenol #4 that you are taking now. The hydrocodone in Norco or Vicodin is more activating. The codeine in tylenol #4 is metabolized by the liver into morphine. Morphine is a more sedating opioid. However, when taken long term, the sedating side effects typically diminish or go away entirely.

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center