Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Athlete Post micro decompression lumbar spinal L4/L5
fallenotp posted:
Hello to all,
First off wanted to say thank you for responding to this post. I am a 32 year of male. My job is teaching and competing Olympic style weightlifting. My job forces me to stay in top shape, and meals have to be Perfect. So i know i am very healthy.
Jan 27 of this year, i was in a weight lifting comp and herniated my L4/L5 disk. May 25th i finally got a micro Decompression on the left side.
This is my Second spinal surgery my first was in 2002, S1/L5 ruptured from a football hit. That one was a hard 5 months of nothing but pain, and my memory of what transpired is foggy at best from all the pain pills they were giving me. This time the post pain is little to none. It is now day 17, and the pain in the leg is gone, but when i sit for more than an hour my erectors start to fatigue.
My question is, i read a lot of the post but cannot find any about post rehab for athletes, How long till i can start rehab? nurse is saying 8 weeks. But my body feels like i can start Running now! and i hate running!
Im just a bit confused about how 32 year old athlete should be dealing with this, when my doctor is used to 50+ year old patients. Would it be the same? do i really have to wait 6 to 8 months before rehab?
Thank you for read,
But thank you more for answering.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

everyone is different especially when it comes to healing from surgeries and back surgeries are the most critical as you don't want to push it and have something else go wrong.

you are wise to do as the doctor and nurse have said - wait 8 weeks and see how things are going. believe me, I had a fusion surgery in 2008 and I couldn't not do anything, no housework, no work, period. could not life anything weighing more than my coffee cup and this was up to a year!!

So please do as they say - don't push it as you could ruptured something else or injure the ones just worked on.

take care - Joy

jls826 responded:
Hello,

I also had a l4-l5 micro surgery last July. Sitting is one of the worse things. I have made it habit to stand up when someone calls me. I stand whenever I have to do something that does not require my computer. I'm and administrator and an analyst for a large college, so this was an adjustment as my job is an "office" job with lots of meetings. Good rule of thumb is to stand and walk even just 10-15 feet every 20-30 minutes. For long meetings volunteer to write notes on the white board, or sit in a place where you can stand in the back if needed. It's a complete adjustment but works and is much healthier for your back. Even with ergonomic this and that in my office, I still do this.

Rehab varies on the surgeon - was limited for 12 weeks, starting PT at 6 weeks.

Good luck.

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center