Skip to content
MRI shows a black spot on L5
KLBR34668 posted:
My back started to hurt when i went threw puberty. My chest went from flat to C cup and now DD cup im only 5 foot tall and am small everywhere else. In the past 3 years i have been in 2 major car accidents. Most recent i was stop to turn and a SUV going 60mph hit me. I had both feet planted on the brake so i wouldnt hit on coming traffic. This car accident has caused the most pain. I had an MRI from the first accident and the reading said there where no abnormalities. Today i finally went for another MRI 2 years after and this horrible accident and i notice on the disc that I have a black dot on L5 it is not next to the spinal fluid its more toward the stomach. I have been suffering from back pain since i was a teenager, but since this last car accident has really put me over the egde. Im not working i have gained 10 lbs and never do anything because the pain is too much. The pain is even worse when i lay down when i TRY to sleep.( I sleep on my stomach) The doctor does not believe that i should be feeling pain, but i do. They have treated me when all kinds of non narcotic pain meds and im scared to ask for anything else cause the doctor makes me feel like i dont need it. Please help I have not had the appt with Doctor to tell me what the MRI said but i want to be informed before i go. Any Info would be great. Thank you
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

One thing with your height and the size that you have become in your chest area can cause back pains and shoulder pains too. so you may want to discuss this with your primary care physician as well as this could be what's been causing your back pains.

first - please stop sleeping on your stomach - this puts more stress and pressure on the spine and will make the pains worse. sleep on your back with pillows under you knees or on your side with pillows between your knees - this will take some stress and pressure off the spine and keep it more straight when you sleep.

second - once you have your appt with your doctor go for a 2nd opinion and be sure the doctor is either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. once they examine you they can let you know what the best treatment options are for your spine problems.

you can also see a PHYSIATRIST Pain Management physician - they go deeper into pain management by treating from the source of the pain and not just the pain itself.

the best way to handle talking to your doctor is to let him/her know that your pains are real and everything you have tried over the counter does not help. ask if there is anything they can prescribe that will help with the pains.

hope this helps - keep us posted what you find out - take care - Joy
trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
How many Physiatrists are also trained in pain managment and how can you research to find out?
bj1208 replied to trs1960's response:
Hey Tim -

At the top of this page is a search engine: DOCTORS

you should be able to put the necessary information in for your area and it will populate te results. In larger cities it should show a larger poll and you should be able to google those results and research their websites.

or look in yellow pages as some do put a large advertisement listing what treatments they offer etc.

hope this helps - take care - Joy
trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
What I meant was how do you find algiatrists? You mention physiatrists which are docotrs of physical medicine and imply that physiatrists are all studied in algaitry.

Some PMs do come from Physiatrists backgrounds, but any MD can study to specialize in pain managment - Algaitry.

One frustration I have is constantly suggestiong to see 2-3 doctors on the first reply. While second and third opions may be necesarry, it is also one of the major problems with our medical system today. While there is a line between allowing acute pain to turn into chronic pain, running medical bills up astronomically when realistically little is known about someone posting is driving medical bills up when the patient may only need one good doctor or physical therapist?

I beleive in biofeedback and as much education as possible learned from the patient.

Sometimes you need a hospital and sometimes you just need a bag of ice.
trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
Phisiatry or PhysiatristPhysical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatry/physiotherapy) employs diverse physical techniques such as thermal agents and electrotherapy , as well as therapeutic exercise and behavioral therapy, alone or in tandem with interventional techniques and conventional pharmacotherapy to treat pain, usually as part of an interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary program.[18>

Pain management practitioners come from all fields of medicine. Most often, pain fellowship trained physicians are anesthesiologists , neurologists , physiatrists or psychiatrists . Palliative care doctors are also specialists in pain management. Some practitioners have not been fellowship trained and have opted for certification by the American Board of Pain Medicine which is not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties and does not indicate fellowship training. However, the American Board of Anesthesiology and the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation have a subspecialty in pain management which is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties and does indicate fellowship training. Some practitioners focus more on the pharmacologic management of the patient, while others are very proficient at the interventional management of pain. Interventional procedures - typically used for chronic back pain - include: epidural steroid injections , facet joint injections, neurolytic blocks , spinal cord stimulators and intrathecal drug delivery system implants. Over the last several years the number of interventional procedures done for pain has grown.
As well as medical practitioners, the area of pain management may often benefit from the input of physiotherapists , chiropractors , clinical psychologists and occupational therapists , amongst others. Together the multidisciplinary team can help create a package of care suitable to the patient.
Because of the fast growth in the field of pain medicine many practitioners have entered the field, with many of these practitioners being not board certified or being certified by unrecognized boards.

I'm not tpicking on you I just beleive in accuraccy.
Last week I was speaking with my friend about this. Whe is a physiatrist and stated he decided not to go in to the pain managment feild. "I wantered work on healing and not so much just sustaining of quality of life."
When you noile it down it's like a tomoatoand vegatbale.

Bottem line is, if you like your doctor and he respects you, your probably in good hands.
If you dont feel bidirectional respect with your medical professional than you should look elsewhere.


Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center