Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Severe Middle Right Side Pain in Back and Spine Area
    vtrujillo92 posted:
    3 Years ago I was Injured by a fellow classmate "of whom he thought could jump right over me and make it"; well he didn't. He fell right on top of my head that had pain shooting down the Right Side of my Spine, Right Shoulder,and Right Arm. My Arm went completely numb and couldn't use it. They tried laying me down on a gurney and made it impossible for me to breathe. I had Inflamation and a little Narrowing between C2-3 and C3-4, but everything else look fine with my X-rays. I was Given Vicodin,Motrin,and 2 Muscle Relaxers; non of them helped at all. I have been dealing with this pain for 3years. It comes and goes. My arm goes numb every once in awhile. I know longer can pick up anything or it will cause the pain to get worse..... About 6 months ago, I slipped in the shower "my mother has hand-capped bars around the tub" and the right side of my shoulder and back landed over the bars. I ended up in the ER. Again they couldn't find anything wrong, except a contusion on my back and sent me home with Vicodin. The days following that, my Pain got worse and my Right Arm went very numb. I followed up with my doctor and she said test were Negative for anything severe with my back, shoulder, and arm. I have gone back to my doctor multiple times because of my pain, she ignores any Request for something stronger or more test for my back. I stopped seeing my Doctor! I have very good Insurance, but I am not able to work, so I cant afford a Doctor Visit. I have been ending up in the ER because of this pain. In the Past 2 months, I have been feeling Serious Pressure on the middle right side of my spine and right middle back. Its made it to where I am very uncomfortable and sitting,standing, or even laying down makes it worse. When it's really bad, I start to feel pain under my Rib on the Right Side..... I have had X-rays,Ct-Scans where my Rib is and there's nothing wrong. I have also had more X-rays done on my back, but they can't seem to find anything wrong. The Right side on my spine in the middle is very swollen. and its affecting my shoulder and arm. I don't know who to go to; since they havent found anything else wrong so far. My Doctor wont run any test on me to figure out whats going on and the ER doctors dont know either. I have been on Vicodin,Percocet,Tramadol, and Multiple Muscle Relaxers. None of them are helping with the Pain. I stopped taking the Medications they have prescribed me, I dont want to be on all these pills, especially if they aint working. I've put Ice and heat to my back and it only helps for a few minutes. I cant afford to go see any Specialist. My doctor had referred me to a Chiropractor, but like I said, I cant afford too go see them. Has anybody else had similar Problems? What should I do? This pain is keeping me from getting a job and doing daily task. Applying for SSI aint possible, since they cant find anything wrong with my back!
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    unfortunately you will need to see a spine specialist in order to determine what is wrong, either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. They are the only ones that can read film results (MRI/CT Scans etc) properly and are the only ones that can give a proper diagnosis.

    See if there is a teaching hospital in your area - usually a University Hospital - they have several departments set up to assist those that either have limited insurance and/or no insurance. They do have spine specialist there and you should be able to get in to spine specialist.or see if your primary physician can refer you but either way you need to see a spine specialist, examined and have an MRI or CT Scan done. X-ray's are good at looking at certain areas i.e., broken bones or narrowing of the spinal canal however they cannot see bulging/protruding discs etc. so it's vital that you do see a spine specialist.

    please keep us posted to what you find out - take care Joy

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center