Skip to content
Hurts to touch old scar from Spinal Cord Stimulator
djsgrandma posted:
10 Years ago I had a SCS put in and later removed. I was taking a shower and I put my hand over the scar area( 3 inches long) and it hurt terrible. It feels like there is a lump in the area from the surgery. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has had experienced anything like this? I do't know if it is scar tissue? If it is scar tissue would it hurt when I touch it? My back and legs and calves are hurting ore today than usual.. I don't know if this is somehow all coming from my back? I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I appreciate your responses. DJSNANA

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

I have not had a spinal cord stimulator, nor have I had this type of problem but if it does not ease off in the next day or two I would be calling my doctor.

If you were running a high fever or have uncontrolled pain I would be going to an urgent care or emergency room immediately.

do stay in touch and let us know how you are feeling.

di

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I had the trial portion done so I never went thru the actual implant.

how long ago did you have it removed? Sometimes incisions can take a while to heal - example i had a full hysterectomy in 93 (incision was horizontal) and I could not stand to touch it - it burned when I touched it and also hurt - I asked my doc about this and he said it had to do with the nerves etc that were cut into and said it could take up to 5 years before full feeling is back. In 99 I began to get my feeling back and about 6 mts later it was all the way back.

when I had my back surgery (Anterior approach) I had a very long incision and my surgeon told me to gently massage the incision (once stables/stitches were removed) to keep it from knotting up. I'm not sure if this made a difference but my feeling came back real fast.

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but I would check with your primary care physician and see what he/she says.

and as DI says, if you are running a fever or if the incision is red then go to Urgent Care or ER to have it checked out -

let us know what you find out - take care - Joy

djsgrandma replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks for the advice Diane. Joy, I had the SCS done about 9 yrs ago. I have a 7 inch scar on my back from this. I have been having problems with spasms in my legs , wrists and hips. I have that Tylenol cream and it helps instead of Icy Hot. I was putting cream on my hips and lower back and I about screamed my head off. It felt like there is a small lump back there and it hurt real bad. I am in the process of changing Doctors. The Doctor I had was suppose to do my pain pump trial and implant this month. After seeing my Psych Doctor and getting things in order to proceed the office called me and cancelled my procedure! I was so upset. The Doctor is no longer taking on any more pump patients. I wanted answers but I wasn't given any. I have made an appointment for a Doctor I had seen years ago and will see her in August. If I go to my regular Doctor she will tell me to go to the Pain Clinic. Thanks for your response and I hope you have a good night. DJSNANA

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center