Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
spinal fusion
An_246803 posted:
it at it's best a waste of your time my doctor told me that 95percent of all spinal fusion fail this is my pain doctor not the dummy who did the surgery i had L1,L2,L3,L4,L5 fusion the nerve damage will never go away my left leg has a burning and a loss of feeling in it the doctor who did my surgery told me give it a few months that it was where he move'd the disc off my nerve and it was "coming" back to life that was in 2006 now 6 years of months have went by has done nothing but hurt more and more go see a nerve doctor first he can tell you if you have any nerve damage and if you should have a spinal fusion at all the sergen will say yes you should i wish'd i would have went through laying in the water haging up side down please for give my misspelling's just please go see every body you can BEFOR you let any one cut on you it's going on 7 years since i had my surgery get 2 or 3 doctors to look at you and research the doctor you are thinking about using none of them walk on water and if one get's a funny look on his/her face when you ask them if and how many time's they have been sued run if you ask they must tell you they can not say you don't need to know they have to tell you don't be like me and get in the first taxi that pull's up

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

basically the info of 95% of failed fusions is quite high. Fusion surgeries have a high success rate in the range of 45% to 65%
and maybe a little higher.

I had a fusion (Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1) done in 2/08. my surgery was a success as the surgeon did what he said he would do - remove the disc and put hardware in. I fused 100% but the surgeon told me he could not guarantee my pains would become better or that the nerves in my legs would get better.

Sometimes it can take up to a year or longer for nerve roots to heal and there are times when the damage is too great and they cannot heal. I had this happen to me - some surgeons will say that you have "FAILED BACK SURGERY SYNDROME" which is a phrase that is used way to loosely. It basically means that part of the surgery did not work as there is still pain. here's a site regarding it:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/failed-back-surgery-syndrome-fbss-what-it-and-how-avoid-pain-after-surgery

I really don't see how surgeons can be sued because there is still pain and/or nerve damage. they can only hope that these will be part of the success of surgery. A fusion surgery is done to stabilize the spine and if the fusion takes and bone is growing back then it's a successful surgery.

I hope this helps - you can click on my name or pic and read my story - Joy

georgia888 replied to bj1208's response:
Hello Joy,
Members of this community are so fortunate to have you here to educate us as you truly are well informed on the subject of the spine.

My first question for you today is when a spine is successfully fused through surgery, although pain may persist, can the patient expect improved mobility through this stabilization procedure?

The second question concerning fusion surgery is: if the fusion is successfull in stabilizing the spine, can the patient expect better posture (assuming that the initial problem negatively affected the posture)?

On behalf of the many visitors to this website, thank you for all the information.

georgia

dianer01 replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia:

I will take a stab at your questions.

Success in spinal fusion means the spine is more stable and has fused. Improved mobility is a whole different story. In some instances the patient is in less pain so they may move more and move in ways they couldn't before the surgery but may not be able to move in ways they did before they had problems with their back.

The answer to your second question is much the same as your first. Their posture may vary depending upon the problem and the level of success of the pain relief.

I had L3-S1 fused about 5 years ago. I had success in the fusion and pain relief. I can do just about anything I want to do. That said, I have permanent nerve damage in my right leg which makes things like climbing or getting down on the floor a little more difficult. So my short answer to you is maybe and maybe.

bj1208 replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia -

I noticed Diane answered your questions and thought I would give my two cents worth as far as what I have encountered with my fusion.

in answer to your first question: my fusion was successful, however my pains are now worse than before the surgery. And yes I can bend forward (bend down) but it hurts and hurts worse once I straighten or stand back up.

in answer to your 2nd question - what successful fused patients still with pain may wear a back brace to help support the spine and keep them more straight when standing/walking etc., while some without pain may not need this extra support and may find they stand/walk etc with better posture than before.

Hope this helps - take care - Joy

georgia888 replied to dianer01's response:
Thanks so much for sharing your personal experience, Diane.

georgia

georgia888 replied to bj1208's response:
Thank you, Joy. Like with so many medical conditions, the outcome varies per individual.

georgia

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
216 of 332 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center