Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it worth it ultimately
Desidilema posted:

I'm not hearing anything overly positive about this procedure. I like you am just sick of this pain day in and day out and the idea of doing this uuncomfortable procedure and for it to come back WORSE is not appealing. IS THIS WORTH DOING...PERIOD! Please help

Take the Poll

Is it worth it...ultimately?
  • yes or no
  • dont know
  • yes
  • no
  • maybe
vote
View Poll Results

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

It may help if we knew what procedure you are referring to.

As stated before in this WebMD Back Pain community, any treatment for back pain provides varied results that are unique to each patient. No one can predict if a procedure will be successful or not. They simply have to try and see if it helps.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Desidilema replied to davedsel57's response:
Its an RFA procedure. The first it was done the lidocaine did not take. Repeat, did NOT take. I felt everything the doctor was doing so much so he had to stop. Especially after he tried to administrate the rf I thought I would pass out from the pain. Now we're trying again but this time, they,re gonna knock me out. Is this safe? Its on Monday 8/13/12. can you please shed some light on this subject???

davedsel57 replied to Desidilema's response:
Here is a link to information about this procedure in the WebMD Back Pain Center: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/radiofrequency-ablation

Only your doctor can determine if the procedure is safe for you based on your medical history.

Good luck on Monday, and let us know how it goes.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 replied to Desidilema's response:
hi -

I had this done 2 times and both times I was awake - at least my doctor said they preferred you to be awake so you can let the doctor know exactly where he needs to have the needle positioned as they don't want to burn the wrong nerves (didn't want to cut the nerves so as to paralyze you)

so there are reasons to be awake during the procedure.

I think I would discuss this with the doctor to make sure all areas of the procedure are on the table.

please keep us posted- take care- Joy

Debsbears responded:
Hi, I had RFA's done in two separate procedures, a total of 12 nerves were done. All done fully awake because they NEED to locate the correct nerves to work on. Yes they can be extremely painful but the pain only lasts as long as they are doing the RFA's.

I was out of pain for 6 yrs. I am in the process of petitioning to have some of them repeated.

Perhaps the thinking of doing them while you are asleep is because you could not deal with the pain involved during the procedure? I am not sure on that part. But I never heard of a Dr putting one out for it either. How will they know what nerves they are suppose to work on?. Perhaps the reason why the other two you had done didn't work because they weren't the right nerves no clue.

Mine worked - I'd do it again when the time comes.

georgia888 replied to Debsbears's response:
Hello Debsbears,
Your's is the most successful testimonial I've read to date. Do you mind my asking what condition it is that you suffer from? Another question is concerning the x-rays used, are they the same as the x-rays used for diagnosing conditions? I'm concerned about the radiation level.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

georgia

Debsbears replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia - forgive me for almost laughing. When you asked what condition is it I'm suffering from? My immediate thought was "what am I not suffering from".

Anyway I have spondylitis of the back and cervical or as I have been told severe arthritis, DDD, Degenerate facet disease, herniated and bulging discs. I have had 2 different kinds of Cervical fusions, RFA's, facet injections, nerve blocks, epidurals.

I had the regular Xrays, Ct Scans w/without contrast and MRI's.

When they did the RFA's they used an Xray machine call fluoroscopy right in the room so they could see the placement of the needles and such they used.

I'm sorry to hear of your many problems, Debsbears, but it's good that you can "almost" have a sense of humor about it.

Thank you, again, for all of this helpful information. I'm seriously thinking about trying it for the arthritis & stenosis I suffer from in my lumbar spine. I swim every day but the pain seems to only get worse. I have Fibromaylgia as well & of course, that only exacerbates the pain.

Thank you & best of luck in finding more relief.

georgia

Georgia I also have stenosis of the lower spine and Fibro. no fun what so ever. Swimming for me is out - due to my neck fusion. I wish I could but....

I hope all works out for you and the procedure helps relieve some of your pain.

Thank you, Debsbears. It seems that Fibro is common with coexisting back problems. Do you mind my asking your age? I'll soon be 57. I fear the future but try not to dwell on those thoughts. Are you able to get around without a cane or other walking aid?

I won't bombard you with any more questions.

Thanks again,
georgia

Georgia ask away it doesn't bother me - if I can answer your questions I'll gladly do that.

I just turned 56 in May. I can not drive any more due to my neck fusion - can't turn my neck.

I own a cane and a gray walker - there are times I have to resort to using one or the other. I currently get by on my own without the walking aids. However when I choose to go to Walgreen's a few blocks away I have to wear my rigid neck brace to help stabilize my balance.

I am in pain 24/7 it is the life I was given and I choose to live it to the best of my ability with the Lord's help. My back and Neck are not the only things I have to deal with. I have a blog that tells much more about me and I am in the process of sharing more of my health and my medical mysteries I have been dealing with in the next few days.

You can read more about me at

www.mybearyspecial.blogspot.com

I'm so sorry to learn of all your problems, Debsbears, but you have been blessed with the right attitude. So many of us feel all alone with these conditions & although we wouldn't wish for anyone to suffer as we do, it really helps to share these problems with those who are in the same boat.

I plan to visit your blog regularly. Please know how much it helps me & I'm sure others as well.

georgia

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
216 of 332 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center