Skip to content
Co-morbidity
riverpicker posted:
It seems this might be the place for me to get some input after reading the 1st post and the caring answers that followed,
I am 57 and was diagnosed with RA in '91. Went through the insurance companies requirements of starting off with NSAIDS and working our way through them untill I changed Dr. He treated me the same until tere must have been a change in policy or something and he began treating me aggressively with biologics. I was still working, construction, laying asphalt in the desert heat of Las Vegas. The years past and after TKR and THR foot repair, shoulder repair. The foot was a failure as infection set in through the rods which went into foot and stuck out toes, four of them.
Left knee is bone to bone now and ne replacement. Diagnosed with COPD/Bronchitis and now it is so bad that I have this blue generator for O2 at home and a little battery powered one to haul around the world with me. Just a little of the things that have stopped me dead in my tracks for the last 4 years. Blood clots in both legs. 5 surgeries are pending but because of pnuemonia was not able to re-start biologics so prednisone and arava arethe only defense against inflamation.

Ok bottom line the stress and depression are beginning to take a very severe toll on me. I was always a doer and there was not much I couldn't do. To top it off the modification process for our home has been going on for 21/2 years. I used to play guitar had a studio upstairs and am still able to enjoys the guitar though not as well as I used to play. I am trying to stay positive and am a follower of Jesus. Sometime the pain and shortness of breath slaps me harder than any horse could kick. I know that worry is bad and up until lately I could get up and after the morning stiffness my day would be halfway bearable but the depression is creeping in with no sign of retreat. I can't get surgeries because of blood clots and prednisone levels at 20 mg. The med list now includes Cymbalta and have been on it for a week. I am changing my medical staff, I call it a staff 'cuz there are 7 of them and the old bunch wouldn't communicate amongst each other. I now have an new RA girl,new lung guy, have yet to see cardiologist or blood Dr.
Never in my life could I have envisioned going from 10 feet tall and bullproof to where I am today. Maybe the last statement would be closer to terminally hip and fatally cool. I hurt and really don't know what else for the main problem of depression can be done. 17 medications and they all have side effects. I would ask any of you who pray to lift me up to the Father if this story crosses your mind.

I needed some place to rest i needed to see my friends I needed to take a minute for myself I needed some place to rest 55 it was a good year for Chevrolet and me I can't explain to you my fears I needed some place to rest It's a gravel road we're driving on with or without the oil It's a picture worth a thousand words as the world begins to boil I needed some place to rest

Thank you for letting me vent some God bless

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome

this is mainly a support group for chronic pain sufferers of spine issues however we do understand what you are going thru -

if you check with the WEBMD directory you will find there are other support groups for RA and other things. too -

so please visit those sites too for support issues - and yes we've all had to change/find the right doctors that would listen to us.

take care - Joy

Congres responded:
Oh my brother in Christ...I understand....I have been strong for so long, now the body is saying no more. I am struggling with anger, fear, depression,and I hope I am not alienating my children. Two positive practical things that have given me some lift is : aqua therapy and reading a book called 'managing your pain before it mangages you'. I am trying to adapt to my new 'painful home'. I will see occupational therapy for setting up a computer from my bed this week. I will pray for you. My list is piling up as well. DDD, depression, fibromyalgia, herniated discs, osteoarthritis of the spine, and surgery looks probable(like in two months). I have had injections and denervations for the last 18 months, some pain relief but no functional improvement. Now things have gotten worse and the pain center states only two more procedures then to surgery. Please pray that I can keep my children feeling loved, and that they lean on Jesus. I fear I am so grumpy with them and its not them or their fault. Thanks for writing and listening, Take care.

trs1960 responded:
I have two friends with RA. It was bad for one he went from Doer to invalid.They had to let the disease go very var before they treated it with agressove medications. Now he's bavk at worrk and is a happy camper.

I don't know what meds he's on, but he got his life back. I know he still has some issues but their not bad. He's the guy that talked to e a few months ago and sai "Seeing you here (at work) makes me laugh at my problems and not complain about it."

I don't know what drugs ad treatments there are for RA, but both people I know with it lead normal lives.

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center