Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Microdiscectomy
WRCathcart posted:
Just 'lurking' here...am 1 week post-surgery o L5/S1. Had no pain for 2-3 days but slowly the pain is increasing. Not nearly the intensity it was before surgery but noticeable--esp. in the right 'cheek' and back of right thigh (and of course at the surgery site). I think I am figuring out this is normal based on many posts I have read, so am trying not to be 'unnerved' by it. However, my question remains: what do I do about it? I am still taking percocet and flexeril and my dr. appt is in 10 days. But until then is it better for me to sit more frequently and lie down in between. Lying down is the most comfortable for me but is it *good* for me to lie down as often as I am?? I am almost 50 and want to preserve as much active lifestyle as I can...

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

resting is the best medicine for recovering from surgeries. so either sitting or laying down or laying down.

you really don't want to be doing anything and have something go wrong. better to play it safe.

please keep us posted how ur doing - take care - Joy

dianer01 responded:
Hi,

I second what Joy said, resting is the best medicine. If you are laying down, try putting a pillow or two under your knees and if you lay on your side, between your knees.

A blue ice pack was my best friend after my discectomy, tied in a bandana, it wouldn't slide out and hit bare skin. I have since found if you go to a sporting goods store they have blue ice packs which stay soft when frozen. They don't last quite as long as the blue ice but more comfortable.

di

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center