Skip to content
Radiofrequwncy Ablation or RFA
mamayoli posted:
Hi everyone,
I am new to this sight. Last summer I fell on the floor cleaning cat litter. My lower back pain sent me to the ER. In the hospital I was diagnosed with MRSA in my L4 and L5 in addition to the fall. I was given Morphine to ease the pain. After getting out of the hospital I had 42 days of IV Therapy. My back pain slowly went away. However the pain returned this past January. The pain was so intense that I could only stand or walk for a short time. I went to my primary doctor and she gave me pain meds. They didn't work for very long. Then she sent me to a Pain Management doctor. I had a MRI which reaveled bulgin dics in L4 - L5. I was givien injections in my back. They lasted for a day or two and the pain returned. I am diabetic and have CHF. The shots increased my blood sugar and fluid intake. So no more shots. The pain doctor suggested RFA. A radiofrequency distrupts nerve funtion. The nerve can no longer tranmit pain to the brain. Has anyone had this procedure? I have not made up my mind yet to get the procedure. I would love to hear from you.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

Yes I have had this done (2 times) in the past - and there have been many members who have recently had this done.

Unfortunately the procedure did not work for me but as stated there have been quite a few members that have had this done and have had great results where the procedure has given them relief anywhere from a couple of months up to a year.

Hopefully the doctor informed you that even though this procedure deadens the nerve roots it's possible for the nerve roots to grow back.

sometimes the boards are slow over the weekends as many members are spending the time with their families etc.,

hopefully this will help - take care - Joy

trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I've had it done 4 times and only once was it successful.
I'm glad I tried it though and the one that worked really helped.

T

Debsbears responded:
I had 2 series of them done - different levels in those 2 times I went - I had gone 6 yrs without pain. The pain is back but I think it could be due to another diagnosis.

I am also diabetic and they thought I had CHF but they now said I get fluid retention because of my lungs. As you have noticed steroid injections always raise our blood sugars but it is temporary and I always lowered my carb intake accordingly.

Like Joy said the nerves can grow back so it isn't 100% to get rid of the pain forever.

Is there any change that the MRSA is back and causing the pain? A friend of mine has been dealing with MRSA for 2 yrs now, and has been on all kinds of antibiotics. They think it is under control and then a new break out somewhere else. Just asking.

My best to you in your decision. I would have another RFA if I could but it is not being offered to me at this time. Many more health issues to contend with, Deb

mamayoli replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you all for your input. My mind is clearer now. I know it doesn't last forever, but any relief is better than none. The MRSA question made me think. My pain management doc requested an MRI before he tried the shots. MRSA didn't show up. Like you said, Deb, MRSA may strike a different area. I see my pain doc this friday and the infectuous disease doctor next week Hopefully I will have more answers.

Thank you all for your support!

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center