Newbie - Need advice regarding Cervical Spinal Stenosis
sp2001 posted:
Hello everyone, first off - so glad I found this community!

I am recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Cervical Spinal Stenosis (MRI confirmed). I am 33 years old, mom of 2, and currently not working due to a lay-off. As for the Fibromyalgia, it wasn't a huge surprise, I have had my suspicions for awhile now. Also because I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome when I was 18. I'm still learning how to manage this.

But I need some advice about the CSS. It's hard to find people my age who have this and I'm not 100% sure why I have it. I'm nervous about what lays ahead for me with this. My pain management Dr. ordered the MRI and told me that I have a "small narrowing of the spinal canal". I had to look it up when I got home (where I learned it's called CSS) and then call Dr back to confirm. Ridiculous, I know. Anyway, he prescribed celebrex and I had an allergic reaction to this. (Hives, rapid heartbeat). Next up, he wants me to try a TENS Unit. *sigh*

So, I'm doing my homework, trying to learn what I can. Any advice/knowledge/experience would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

trs1960 responded:
Homeowrk is your best bet. You are young for stenosis...although I'm no expert. I have a freind with Fibro and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. I've known her since her teens and she married a good friend. She's abeatiful woman and mother of two. She puts on a good happy face, but I can see it in her eyes.

Sorry I have no advice, I usually don't reply if I have nothing informative or postive to add,, but I wanted to tell you to defeintely do your homework as everyone is unique and we all fight our battles alone. Friends and support groups are great, but we need to learn to fight our battle alone. I had a psychiatrist explain this to me in detail and it made sense, but I can't remember that many big words! It's not a negative thing.

Bottom line is we're all alone in our heads and that's OK. We need to learn to be strong and use our brains to fight pain and bad stuff. When we do get together with friends and family that's a bonus!!

Best of luck.

Tim

sp2001 replied to trs1960's response:
Thank you for replying

I have definitely been doing my homework, and have found that Webmd is a great place for facts AND support. Getting diagnosed was my first step. I believe I can help myself better by learning about both conditions, talking to my Dr. and going from there. I also see a psychiatrist for depression & have been for about 10 years. I agree it helps with many area's of my life.

I think I'm too young for CSS too =P But I know there are other people out there just like me. Like I said in my post, still not sure why I have this, but it might be congenital. I have never had an accident that would injure my spine. I would think my Dr. would be able to tell from my MRI right?

I'm still not sure what medicine to take for the Fibromyalgia. My Dr. told me to "do my homework, learn about the condition & we'll go from there". It's all VERY overwhelming.

Again, thank you for replying.

davedsel57 responded:
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to read about all you are going through. I fully understand.

WebMD also has a very good Fibromyalgia Community here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/fibromyalgia-exchange

There is also a WebMD Fibromyalgian Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/default.htm

And, of course. WebMD has an excellent Back Pain Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/default.htm

I know Lyrica is often prescribed for Fibromyalgia. My doctor tried me on Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) but it did not help.

Keep doing your research. Keep moving as much as possible. Keep a positive attitude.

I pray you find answers, proper treatment and relief soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

sp2001 replied to davedsel57's response:
Thank you! I plan on posting in the Fibromyalgia community too. It helps to know I'm not alone. Still researching meds right now, but walking and staying active do help. Thanks for the links!