Skip to content
retmed
retmed posted:
I have disc problems in neck and back and am in the process of buying an inversion table. I had spinal decompression for a few months and it was the most relief I had ever had. I had it for my neck and for my back. The problem was it was not covered by insurance then and was too expensive to continue.
I then decided to have surgery, which was not totally successful. I am now getting the decompression treatments once a week, and will get the table to use in the interim. I walk 2-3 miles each day, along with stretching, so it is important to keep your weight in check as well, but I do believe in the power of decompression, even though it only provides temporary relief. When you have back and neck pain, you will take any relief you can get.

georgia888 responded:
Hello retmed,
Spinal decompression has always intriqued me as it makes so much sense. I'm glad you found some relief from your treatments & would be very interested in hearing how you do with the inversion table. Has your doctor given you the green light in using one? There are quite a few models to choose from; which one do you plan to purchase?

georgia

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

just wanted to add one thing - what type of surgery did you have? reason I am asking is if you had any type of hardware installed (fusion which includes plate, screws, cage) it may not be a good idea for this - I have a fusion and have been told by my surgeon and pain docs that I cannot have any type of decompression etc done.

so please be sure to get approvals from all your docs and let them know you want to by the inversion table.

keep us posted how you are doing with it, if approved - take care - Joy

retmed replied to georgia888's response:
Since I had a laminectomy, which did not involve any metal fusions of any kind, my doctor says that it is fine to receive the treatments and to supplement them with the table. Right now, he still wants to do more testing, and mentioned possible more back surgery, but it took me 6 years to get up the courage to do it in the first place. I tried accupuncture, yoga, tai chi, and cortisone shots during those years and now I'm fed up. The decompression seems to give me the most relief. So when I finish my research on tables, I'll let you know. Good luck. I truly know how you feel.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center