Skip to content
Healing from Microdiscectomy
itssofluffy posted:
I had a microdiscectomy on 3/2/12. It was at L5S1 and a piece had broken off and lodged into the nerve. I had weakness, numbness, and extreme pain in my left leg and foot. It has been 7 months and I have recovered most of my leg functionality, but I still take neurontin to ease the pain. I am more concerned about the pain in my lower back. It is a chronic pain on the right side (my incision is on the left) and includes the right buttock. There was never pain there before about 2 months ago, then I could do some stretches and exercises to help eliminate it, but now it is constant and doesn't respond to anything but Advil. I have a doctor's follow-up next week, but I am looking for some support. Has anyone recovered from a similar injury and is it "normal" for new pain to form throughout recovery?

Also, about the same time I noticed the pain on the right getting worse, I also started having periodic muscle spasms at night. Basically my entire left leg contracts involuntarily. Usually it is brought on if I try to flip myself over by digging my heel into the mattress, but sometimes it happens for no reason. It will also twitch all over without pain. Has anyone else had that issue and is it my back or a side effect of the neurontin?

I guess the good news is that I have improved steadily in the last 7 months except for that pain. I also take a very low dose of neurontin so that's promising as well. Just wish I could get back to my normal activities.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I'm sorry no one has responded - I've been keeping watch to see if anyone has.

I think what you should do is call your surgeon and let him/her know about the pains on the right side. This does not sound like healing pains but could be associated with the disc bulging on that side.

it may be a good idea to ask your surgeon to refer you to a physical therapist and/or chiropractor for treatments. they can write the proper prescription for you so that you know which exercises you can and cannot do.

please keep us posted what you fnd out.- take care - Joy

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center