Adult Scoliosis
2young2Bgrandma posted:
I am a 43yo female. My doctor last year told me i have scoliosis. I had never been told that before, but it explains a lot. I have not done anything for it (other than swimming for exercise as suggested by doctor-it seems less stressful on the back).

Recently though sleeping through the night without pain in my upper back is getting tough. Every night I wake to pain and it still hurts in the morning. Our bed is about 4 years old, so that should not be the problem.

Any ideas on what I can do to lessen this pain? I should go back to doctor for it, but as it is I need to the a neurologist for numbness in my feet and legs (hmmm. maybe it's all related?) And I really dont want to take any extra time off work.

The pain is in the middle of back, about mid-point.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Debsbears responded:
Hi 2young 2Bgrandma - just recently I was dx'd with dextroscoliosis it is where my spine at the thoracic is curving to the right. I also had trouble sleeping at night due to pain but didn't know why.

I have purchased a 6" memory foam mattress for my bed which is a hospital bed due to many health issues. Anyway since purchasing the memory foam mattress I have been able to toss and turn as usual but without hurting. I hope this helps. BTW I will never switch back to the old style mattress, costs more but well worth it for me. Deb
2young2Bgrandma replied to Debsbears's response:
Thank you Deb!

I may look in to that. I know I really should get in to Dr but am trying to wait for the bad weather to come as my work is slower then.

Will take it day by day.

bj1208 replied to 2young2Bgrandma's response:
Hi 2young2Bgrandma -

another option to try is using extra pillows when you sleep - put between your legs when you sleep on your side and under your knees when sleeping on your back (also prop up pillows behind you - like a reclining position). this will help keep the spine more straight and should take some pressure off.

as far as the doctors to see because of the numbness you should see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist - disc problems can cause nerve issues causing pain/numbness/tingling etc in legs/feet so please start there first -

please keep us posted what you find out - take care - Joy