Skip to content
Back pain from standing or activites
phere posted:
Background: Im 30, have 2 kids, wife. Hurt my back once when i was like 10, fell from a tree and couldnt move my legs for about 8hrs. Went to the ER, left that same day. Everything has been fine untill about 2 years ago. Im a cook, and required to stand for 8 hours without a sit break. I made a post about 8 months ago, but just wanted a little help still. I am having problems at work, worse then before. The pain is on the spine, a little to the right. I went to the ER, they just gave me a script for some muscle relaxers and some hydrocodone, and gave me a X-ray. The muscle relaxers do not help at all, for whatever reason. The hydrocodone did, but i really dont like taking narcotics. I got a referral to a specialist about a month ago, but i really can't afford it. My insurance sucks. I took a week off work for rest, and tried stretching and everything i can find on the web to do. Sometimes my butt-cheek gets like a stab of pain too, but it doesnt last like my back pain. Any ideas what it might be so i can try to find ways to fix it myself? I can't afford to miss anymore work. Im about to lose my mind over the pain, sometimes its so bad i cant put my shoes on without great effort, and tears. I take like 3200mg of ibuprofen a day, which doesnt help much. I miss jogging and camping and everything now-a-days. Any ideas will help. thank you.
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group, again~~

we are lay people who suffer from chronic pains and cannot really diagnose what is wrong with you. Even our in-house physicians cannot diagnose you unless they examine you.

from what you are describing it sounds as though there is an underlying problem causing the pains etc you are feeling and the only way to accurately diagnose what is wrong is for you to see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. they will examine you, may order MRI or CT Scan and will be able to accurately diagnose based on those findings. from there they can offer you the best treatment options.

That's really all we can offer for you as you really must see a spine specialist in order to find out what is going on. There could be numerous underlying problems causing this and it really needs to be addressed.

please keep us posted what you find out - take care- Joy
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~
phere replied to bj1208's response:
thanks for the reply. I guess ill make an appointment for wednesday, ill keep you guys posted.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 50 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center