Skip to content
INSURANCE?
trs1960 posted:
Does anybody know a path to insure my wife and two daughters if I go on disability? It may just be my daughters as my wife seems to have had enough of living with a broken man...long story.

I was talking to the doc today and I'm really getting to the end of my rope. Trying to work full time, be dad, be husband, son and all around mr fix it is just beating me up. The pain is dibilitating and horrific. I know that stronger drugs may mask the pain, but I won't be able to work in my profession and I won't be good for much.

My girls are 15 and 17. Both are honor students and plan on attending the local university when they graduate high school.

Doc came in today and I warned her I was not having a good time of it. Too much of too much was dragging me down. She reminded me that I am the only patient they have with the extenet of injuries that I do that even tries to work. "Most people with the extent of injury you have would have been done after a year and you've worked for 12."
I'm certainly proud of that and it was primarily to get my kids through school. I think they meay get more scholarship money if I'm on disability than I continue this charade I call a life.
My oldest daughter has a 4.3 GPA as a high school senior taking honors/AP calculas, AP/honors psycology she already had honors physiscs and she in college level (Eng 101) english. She'll do well with academic scholarship money.

Youngest is also in honors classes with a high GPA and as a sophemore plays on the varsity soccer team.

If my suffering to continue to work had anything to do with helping them it was completely worth it! I am just really running out of the ability to fight on.

I don't want to whine on the board, but it sucks when you plan your life around a positive attitude and it's just not enough to carry you through each day.

Even if my wife leaves me I'm still happy that despite my injuries I provided for her and understand that living with someone with half their spine fused together is not a joyous life. I do know that I've given it my best and I'm very proud of who I am.

Anyway, insurance info if you've got it?

Tim

darlyn05 responded:
I do not know what state you live in or even if that matters. Applying for SSDI(Social Security Disability Insurance) takes time and if you can find an atty that will apply for you instead of you doing it(also one that you may see advertised as if you don't get SSDI you don't pay) may lessen the time for approval or disapproval.

Your children under the age of 18 may also be eligible to receive benefits from your SSDI. Have you looked at government funded insurace availability for your children. Here it is called BadgerCare, and perhaps other programs. Call your local Human Resources(generally a county office and monitored).

bj1208 responded:
Hi Tim -

sorry you're going thru this but I think in the end it will be the best decision you could make.

I found this page on Medicaid.gov and thought maybe you could find answers for getting insurance for your dependent girls -

http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/state/index.html

hope this helps - keep ur chin up and keep us updated -
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

trs1960 replied to darlyn05's response:
I have good disability insurance that covers me and my family for about 2 years. I've been throught he SSDI process before and I'm familiar with it. I was actually approved about 7 years ago, but I went back to work to make a better life for my family. Regardless of the outcome I suceeded in that.

trs1960 replied to darlyn05's response:
I meant to say thank you. The insurance info is what I'm asking about. I'll check them out.

trs1960 replied to trs1960's response:
And thanks Joy.

I had a good talk with the doctor and I don't know how to make someone happy that doesn't want to be happy, but I still have concerns about her and I am responsible for our children....tha's why I went back to work under almost imposssible circumstances.

I just want my family to come out OK...I'm pretty much used up after 12 years of this stuff. I think disability would be better for me. Some quality of life would be better than suffering. I just want some rest and no matter what happens I need to march!
I guess that's where they came up with soldier on.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center