Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain pump
backbreaking posted:
How many members on here have the pain pump? I'd like to discuss it with you. I'm seriously thinking about having one put in. Thanks for any feedback. soooo tired of this pain.

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

I can only think of one member that does have the pain pump and he rarely posts anymore. I can tell you from speaking with him that he has both the pain pump and spinal cord stimulator implant and has told me that his pains have reduced by 40%.

I don't think there are any other members that have one, but I may be wrong.

I have researched this as I am thinking of getting one as I too have such severe pains and would prefer the meds to go directly to the pain site thereby reducing the amount I intake.

have you researched this on the internet? there are a lot of great sites that help explain this.

let us know a little more about what you are going thru etc we can help you more if we know more about you.
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

backbreaking replied to bj1208's response:
Good Afternoon Joy, I have been off and on the back pain board for several years. I had surgery for scoliosis when I was 13 but developed to worse curve after I married and had children. I had surgery again 25 yrs ago with rod implants from 5thT to 3L. Was pretty much able to handle the pain until about 5 or 6 yrs. ago. I've had RFA, Epidurals and tried all kinds of pain meds. The pain has developed into intense Sciatica in the past year. The only thing pain meds do for me is make me feel loopy and I can't handle that. I thought maybe a pain pump would help since it doesn't go all through your body. What is your opinion?

bj1208 replied to backbreaking's response:
hi again - yes I agree with you - the pain meds are placed directly where the pain is and thereby it doesn't go thru the body as with taking oral pain meds. even with the pain pump taking oral pain meds will be necessary for those breakthru pains that may occur.

as for the sciatic pains, have you tried Neurontin or Lyrica?? these 2 meds were made to help with pains in legs and they work great - I take Neurontin (Gabapentin is generic form) and have been on it for about 4 yrs and it really helps with the nerve damage in both my legs.

hope this helps - let me know if u have other questions~~
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

backbreaking replied to bj1208's response:
I have tried the Neurotin and Lyrica. They both made me dizzy. A physiatrist tried me on them several years ago. I stopped taking them after a week because I couldn't function. How many mgs. do you take?

bj1208 replied to backbreaking's response:
you have to start out on a small dosage 300mg daily then after about a week start dosing up to a therapeutic dose. during the first week or so it does have some side effects such as dizzy but after that it goes away -

I have bad nerve damage in both legs and I take 3600mg daily~~I've been on this amount for 3 1/2 yrs now been on the med for 4 yrs - as i said it takes time to build up to a therapeutic dose - hope this helps -
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

charl1942 replied to bj1208's response:

I remember when I first started Neurontin (Gabapentin). I felt so loopy that I called the doc's office. She asked me if I felt drunk? I told her it was like I was in a cloud floating around. She told me that that would pass and it did. Everyone apparently has a different way to express the feeling the early days on these medications make them feel. I have spoken to many people all of whom speak of the symptoms you describe.
I think physicians all should explain to patients that pesky side effect when it is prescribed. It obviously was enough that you completly stopped taking it. It is a valuable drug with great results. People should know what can result in the early days. I I am sure this is all mentioned in the paperwork that is given when these medications are picked up at the pharmacy, but it still should behoove the docs to mention this to each patient when prescribed.

Helpful Tips

How I got rid of 2 1/2 years of sciatic pain
I had sciatic pain for over 2 years went to chiropractor twice a week for months, tried acupunture and ever nasd and pain pill out there. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center