Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

exercise and back pain
    tamark posted:
    I try to work out everyday. Not only to keep in shape, but I know that if I miss one day, it is that much harder to get back in the swing of things. I also have chronic lower back pain. I have already missed one day of working out, and I really do not want to miss another, but I think my back still needs a couple more days to heal. I was wondering if anyone knew of any exercises that can be done that will not affect my back. Running and sit ups are obviously out, but perhaps there are some exercises I may not have thought about. In addition to that, what exercises might be suggested that could perhaps strengthen my back to prevent future injury?

dianer01 responded:
    I have become a walker... I have my music and walk. It is my understanding it burns as many calories mile for mile but takes longer than running.

Some with chronic back issues are able to exercise in water through swimming, walking or an aerobics type of class. As soon as the incision was healed enough to get into the pool I enrolled in a class for joint replacement patients. I really enjoyed it and the freedom from the brace.

everyone is different and you may want to talk to your doctor about physical therapy where they could teach you exercises to strengthen your back and abs without putting too much stress on it.

tamark replied to dianer01's response:
    Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center