Skip to content
exercise and back pain
tamark posted:
I try to work out everyday. Not only to keep in shape, but I know that if I miss one day, it is that much harder to get back in the swing of things. I also have chronic lower back pain. I have already missed one day of working out, and I really do not want to miss another, but I think my back still needs a couple more days to heal. I was wondering if anyone knew of any exercises that can be done that will not affect my back. Running and sit ups are obviously out, but perhaps there are some exercises I may not have thought about. In addition to that, what exercises might be suggested that could perhaps strengthen my back to prevent future injury?

dianer01 responded:
I have become a walker... I have my music and walk. It is my understanding it burns as many calories mile for mile but takes longer than running.

Some with chronic back issues are able to exercise in water through swimming, walking or an aerobics type of class. As soon as the incision was healed enough to get into the pool I enrolled in a class for joint replacement patients. I really enjoyed it and the freedom from the brace.

everyone is different and you may want to talk to your doctor about physical therapy where they could teach you exercises to strengthen your back and abs without putting too much stress on it.

tamark replied to dianer01's response:
Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
218 of 335 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center