Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Inappropriate response?
    inform4691 posted:
    My 75 yo mother began having L leg pain 2 wks. ago that she told no one about. Four days ago, the pain became severe and her leg "gave out" leading to a fall. She went to the ER and was given hydrocodone and flexeril. The next day an MRI showed ruptured disks @ L4-L5. Her PCP told her she would "get right on this' in referring her to a neurosurgeon. Three days later, no contact has been made by the PCP or the surgeon to my parents. They called PCP's office and left a message yesterday, and have heard nothing. Mom says the meds are "not touching the pain", her" leg feels like jello" and she has not slept for four days. Can she self-refer to a neurologist if she's on medicare. I'm 11 hours away from her and feeling helpless. Any insights to this would be helpful.
    davedsel57 responded:

    I looked at information on the Medicare website ( ) and it appears a referral from the primary doctor is required.

    Your parents should continue to pursue this assertively with the primary doctor. Keep calling the office, talk to staff, even drive over if necessary.

    I hope your mother gets the treatment and relief she needs soon.
    Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.



    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center