Skip to content
radiofrequency ablation
KRAZYCMA posted:
Hi, first timer, I had been battling left hip pain after falling on it three times in 6 months, numerous cortisone injections.Low back pain and left buttock pain also, numbness left leg and foot. After 2 years, My doctor did mri of hip and low back. Shows left hip bursitis and gluteal strain with all lumbar disc bulging. I went to a Pain Management Doctor who recommended lumbar injections. The first one did well for 6-8 hours.. so six weeks later had RFA to lumbar has been 6 days and I am in a lot of relief yet....using ice and heat, neurotin, robaxin and tylenol 4, just to function...not sure this was the right surgery for me....Left hip still hurts... and back and buttocks hurt worse than before....What should I do op not for another 2 weeks....
bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

what type of doctor did you see first?

You should call the pain doctor that did the RFA and let him know how much more pain you are in. If he wants you to come in sooner for another treatment I think I would get more opinions of what exactly is going on with your back. with the amount of disc(s) bulges you have and the possibility of the bulges pressing on a nerve root (leg pain/numbness etc) it may be beneficial for you to get a couple of opinions from both Orthopedic Spine Specialist and Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist.

Spine Specialists are the only ones that can fully read film reports (MRI/CT Scans etc) make accurate diagnosis and offer the best treatment plans based on your diagnosis.

it seems the radiofrequency procedures are done differently from when I had mine (2007). (click on my name or picture and read my story) my first one was done and I was advised to go back to work and do my regular daily activities and write down what I was doing if my pain levels peaked. I was told to do fax my daily reports and to do this for 2 weeks. I went back after 2 weeks and the procedure was repeated hitting different areas (nerve endings) and asked where I felt it in my legs etc to let him know if he was in the right area or not. again I was told to go bout my daily activities and writing down everything etc. I went back and was told the treatments were not working as I did not have any pain relief. I was told that sometimes when this procedure is done to deaden the nerve endings that they can grow back or there is more damage than what the reports are showing.

I'm not saying it's not working for you, but it concerns me that several other members have posted saying how much more pains they have been feeling after having this done.

I truly believe you should get a couple of opinions from Spine Specialists to find out exactly what is going on with your back. this way you will know what your options are.

please let us know what you find out.
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

Acupuncture helps
Both acupuncture and cups do great in pain management. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center