Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Post surgery back pain
solowill posted:
Hi everyone, I am glad to see this discussion group, I have read alot of the previous posts, and yet I haven't dealt with those problems, I wondered if anyone has dealt with what I'm currently struggling with. I had back surgery for a herniation of L4-L5 they removed the herniation, did not do a fusion b/c of my wonderful insurance, felt they would first try to see if this was successful and go from there, it has not been a year yet, but January will make one year since my surgery, prior to surgery I had significant nerve damage from my waist to my ankles on both legs, I am no ways near 100% but lately I have experienced a warm tingling sensation that often runs down my legs and often times goes up my back to my neck, it feels like those electric shocks from the Nerve conduction study. (not pleasant at all) I get slightly nauseous after they happen and I feel light headed, this happens after I've walked a while or sometimes just sitting, has anyone else experienced this, I am concerned and yes the pain is still present with my back, I don't know what was worse before surgery or after,no I wouldn't recommend the surgery to anyone that has not had it and now Im having major knee problems

bj1208 responded:
hi and welcome to the support group -

first - if they didn't do a fusion did they put any hardware in? such as spacers, rods etc., just can't figure disc herniation removal without putting something back in -

second - are you still seeing the surgeon for follow-up appts?

if you are not seeing the surgeon then I would suggest that you call and get in as soon as you can to have this checked out. I do have nerve damage in both legs (yep I have annual EMG/Nerve Conduction Tests Done!! LOL) and I do have the electric shooting pains that go from my low back to my legs and sometimes I will get either a warm or cold sensation in certain spots running down my legs. But I've never had what you are experiencing. And I don't recall any other members having this either.

I do think you should have this checked out with your surgeon and if you haven't had a current MRI then one should be done to see what is going on with your back.

Please keep us posted what you find out -
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center