Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dehydration vs Degenrative
indytechguy posted:
I notice on my scan results of my thoracic and lumbar spine that it appears the report uses the terms dehydration and degenerative interchangeably. Am I reading this correctly? Is disc dehydration the same as "degenerative disc disease"? I've tried searching for this, but not having much luck so far finding a definitive answer. Thank you.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

deach777 responded:
I've had this written on my back reports also, and i did research. Disc dehydration is a cause as "degenerative disc disease" I won't print all the articles on this but this one explains. Hope this helps. ~Deach~
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/degenerative-disc-disease-topic-overview

indytechguy replied to deach777's response:
Thank you Deach777. I read through that link, but I could never find the term dehydration on the two pages, however, are you referring to this paragraph as meaning "dehydration"?

The loss of fluid in your discs. This reduces the ability of the discs to act as shock absorbers and makes them less flexible. Loss of fluid also makes the disc thinner and narrows the distance between the vertebrae.

- IndyTechGuy
It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

bj1208 replied to indytechguy's response:
hi Indy - I think where u will find this is down where it starts:"What Causes Degenerative Disc Disease" and the first pinpoint starts out saying the loss of fluid - meaning our discs may dehydrate as we get older and there are some doc's that refer to the DDD stages as part of this.

hope this helps -
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

I have resolved my tailbone / coccyx pain (coccydynia)
About two years ago I started experiencing pain in my tailbone while sitting. If I sat for more than a couple minutes, the pain would start ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center