Skip to content
Pain pump
An_248670 posted:
I have had 2 failed back surgeries, the first cages in L5-S1 and second spinal fusion w/rods and screws L4-5. Having pain across my low back down both legs and burning pain in my feet and ankles. On Tramadol for 10 yrs which resulted in gastroparesis (damage to stomach nerve) which resulted in rapid 35 lb wt loss. Off of tramadol which took a month of no sleep and restless legs. Can't take Vicodin or Nucynta. EMG's show damage to S1 nerve. Told no surgery will correct this. Offered a pain pump which I am afraid of since nothing so far has worked and not sure I want to have something implanted in my body. Have had numerous injections and nerve ablation which did nothing. On Lidoderm patches which seems to help with severe pain but takes a while to calm down. Haven't been able to work for 3 yrs. Any ideas?

bj1208 responded:
Hi AN_248670 - welcome to the support group -

what you need to understand with the pain pump implant is that the medication is delivered directly to the pain site whereby reducing and/or eliminating the need to take oral meds.

This may be the way to go for you since it was offered to you. Do research on the internet for the pain pump implant (just google it) and you will come up with lots of returns to research.

I am doing research on this too as i am looking at having one done.

Hope this helps ~~
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

backbreaking responded:
Hello An I am also interested in this procedure. I've tried everything else. I have an appt. Tues. with and Orthopedic Surgeon. Hoping to get some answers then.

Regards,

Brenda

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
221 of 338 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center