Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Relationship between Back Pain and CPR Level?
    An_248718 posted:
    I've had chronic back pain for two years. It came on suddenly, and I'm being treated by a physical therapist. It is evidently caused by sitting at a computer all day for many, many years. I have a little arthritis, but nothing that they wouldn't expect for a person in her early sixties. I had a C-Reactive Protein (CRP) test about 3 years ago after I had a routine colonoscopy. The test was 20 when it should have been a maximum of 3. The GI doctor told me to have it rechecked in 3 months in case they missed anything. I did and it was still 20, but my regular doctor told me not to worry about it because, even though that's an indicator of heart disease in women, I have none of the other symptoms of heart problems except family history. Another doctor told me the same thing. I just had the CRP test again, and again it was 20. I know that high CRP is an indication of inflammation "somewhere" in the body, but further tests would be needed to find out where. Could my back problems be causing it to run high?
    An_248718 responded:
    That title should say CRP, not CPR.
    bj1208 responded:
    hi and welcome to the support group -

    this really is a question that you need to ask your primary care physician about and see what he/she says as it appears there are 2 types of CRP tests. Your primary care doc will determine what tests would need to be done to rule out other possibilities.

    Please let us know what you find out~~
    Take care~~

    ~~ Joy ~~
    backbreaking responded:
    My Dr. told me that my CRP level would always be high because of my back problems.

    betsey2u responded:
    Figure all these doctors tell us to take pills to control our inflamation to make our pain go away. we are talking tissue inflamation and also you mention arthritis? All they say is that it is a marker for inflamation and for infection. mild inflamation and pregnancy being 10-40. then you have active inflamation and what not being even higher numbers.
    bj1208 replied to backbreaking's response:
    Hi backbreaking -

    most of us write a story regarding what we have been thru - this way we tell new members to click on our name or pic and read our story, as some of us have had many, many things over many years~~LOL - if you click on ur name you will be brought to your account and you can write your story - it makes it easier for us to help you if we can read this instead of searching for posts to see what you are going thru -

    KK - so I think you should see either a Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist. A MRI/CT Scan should be done to see what is going on with your back so you can have an accurate diagnosis. once that is done they can let you know what the best treatment options are. The spine specialists are the only ones that can properly read MRI/CT Scan film (not written report) to see what problems you may have.

    For the time being, I would stop seeing the physical therapist since you have not been to the spine specialist. Sometimes when physical therapist and/or chiropractors can do more harm if they don't know what is going on with your spine especially if they are making any type of adjustments to your back.

    Once you have been given an accurate diagnosis and if physical therapy and/or chiropractor treatments are part of the treatment options they can write the proper script for the therapy.

    Let us know what you find out~~
    Take care~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Ice works wonders More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 4 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center