Skip to content
X-Stop device
aguidette posted:
Any one have the x-stop device put in there Back, I have had the device put in between L3/L4 , since it is a pretty new procedure, I dont have much history on it..has it been sucessful for you or are you experianceing any problems..I don't know if it has made much of a difference in my Back problems..i have been left with numbing in both feet...when I first take to my surgeon about this he said"feeling might or might not come back"..I have since had two hip replacements this year..I feel like my problem was my hips all along..but I am trying not to focus on a possible unnecessary procedure with the X-Stop..would like any information from any of you who have had this device..and what has your outcome been like...meet a few people who have had this device and now are having problems with it breaking...Kind of scary...Thanks

bj1208 responded:
hi Aguidette - welcome to the support group -

I know my surgeon offered this procedure for those that could have it. He had articles posted on his waiting room wall describing the procedure (my surgery was in 2/08).

Those that have Lumbar (and maybe Cervical) Spine Stenosis would be candidates for the X-Stop Titanium implant.

Spinal Stenosis is either acquired or inherited and it affects the space between nerve roots, spinal cord and vertebrae where the space is reduced.

Here's site explaining more on Spinal Stenosis:

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/lumbar-spinal-stenosis-a-definitive-guide

and here's site (manufacturer of X-Stop device)

http://www.medtronic.com/patients/lumbar-spinal-stenosis/device/index.htm

Hopefully, this should help you understand why you had it done. When you had the surgery on your hips it's possible the nerve roots were moved around, however certain tests can be done to check the nerve damage which is the EMG and Nerve Conduction Test (2 part test)

Normally, numbness/tingling/burning sensation from the nerve roots being pinched where this is felt in the buttocks/legs/feet may heal themselves if the operation is done within 6 months upon the problem developing. However, if the operation is done more than 6 months from problem developing it's possible that the nerve roots may not heal where permanent nerve damage may set in.

Example of this is my spine surgery. I had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 (S1 is nerve root). My problems happened when I was younger and fell too many times off horses and injured my L5-S1 disc but did not know this until 2006 when my disc blew (ruptured and splintered). However, the disc was already bulging (since late '60's early '70's) so damage to the S1 nerve root had set in. the surgery fixed my disc problem as the surgeon said he would but damage was too severe where I have chronic pains and nerve damage in both legs. My disc was removed and hardware was implanted (plate, screws and care) not the X-Stop implant.

I don't recall seeing any posts from members who have had this done. You can google: X-Stop and get a response on the procedure and if there are any problems associated with it.

Hope this helps - let us know if u have further questions and we can research this for you -
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~

Helpful Tips

PLEASE HELP
Was wondering if you would be so kind as to donate to and/or share my fundraiser so that I can get the proper treatment for my pain. It ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center