Skip to content
Should I go to a masseuse or a chiropractor?
jasonkramer posted:
I started working as security guard in June and since then I have had pain that reaches from the small of my back to about halfway down my right gluts. the pain is very dull. like the muscle needs to be stretched out after having been worked too hard. ive tried doing back stretches and exercises, but they dont seem to help.

The entire area does not hurt, just about a strip of pain a few inches wide. Also, the pain is not constant. It only hurts after I have been walking or standing for an extended period. Typically after 2 hours. Now that can be constantly or collectively. However, when I do other physical activities, such as running 3 miles, the pain does not start.

bj1208 responded:
Hi jasonkramer and welcome to the support group -

there could be a number of reasons this is happening and you should see your primary care physician and tell him/her exactly what is going on. your doc may order an x-ray just to see if anything shows up. Proper script for physical therapy and/or chiropractic treatments would need to be ordered by your doc (to make sure you are doing exercises correctly etc.).

Once your primary care doc examines you and looks at any test results he/she may refer you to see a spine specialist for further evaluation/treatment.

let us know what you find out~~
Take care~~

~~ Joy ~~
trs1960 replied to bj1208's response:
I agree with Joy...I might also try a physical therapist or a physiatrist.

Chiro may be able to help, but that would be my last choice. As Joy states your PCP can be your tour guide and get you on the right path. Depending on his prognosis you may go to physical therapy or to a spine specialist.

Helpful Tips

Snake Venom for Pain
By Jon Bardin October 3, 2012, 12:52 p.m. Nobody wants to be bitten by a black mamba. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world, its ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center