Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Back pain when taking deep breaths
NicoleLayne85 posted:
Hello!
I woke up yesterday with a pain in my back on the left side between the mid of the back and the upper part of my back. It accures when I take deep breathes, cough or sneeze. It also hurts when I lay on my left side. I didnt lift anything this past weekend. I called the doctor but wont because to get in until next week or the week after. I was wondering shoudl I give it sometime because it might be a muscle or go to another doctor.
I have tried a heating pad and that didnt help and I've taken pain reliever and that hasnt helped either.

Any ideas as to what it may be?

davedsel57 responded:
Hello.

Unfortunately, the rules in all WebMD communities do not allow any of us to diagnose or give medical advice. There could be any number of conditions causing your symptoms.

You really will need to see a doctor for evaluation and treatment. If at all possible, I would wait and see my own doctor. If it becomes worse, you may want to try and get in to see another doctor or go to a walk-in urgent care clinic.

In the meantime, you can try using the WebMD Symptom Checker here: http://symptoms.webmd.com/default.htm#./introView
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

marybear53
I have had relief from facet injections in my lower back. My pain management doctor told me that surgery is not, and will not be an option. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center