Skip to content
Lower back surgery
An_249034 posted:
I am having back surgery on Dec4th. But i was told i have to be nicotine free for 2 weeks. I smoke a pack and half a day but for the past week i have cut way down to only 2~3 cigg a day. I have next week to go then i have to go in and do a nicotine test. Which I think is against my rights. Does anyone have any information on refussing a nicotine test and getting turned down by the doctor

davedsel57 responded:
Smoking seriously inhibits, and even prevents in some cases, proper healing after any surgery. Especially spinal surgery involving a fusion.

This is not against your rights but for your own protection and to ensure the success of your surgery. Your doctor is within his/her rights to refuse to do your surgery if there is a risk that could be avoided.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

charl1942 replied to davedsel57's response:
Dear an-249034

I was treating with a doctor a while ago. He did not do a test that I am aware of, but he did refuse to do surgery unless the patient refrained from smoking for three months.

He said he found out a patient had not stopped smoking and released her from the hospital refusing to do surgery.

As David said physicians are within their rights to refuse to perform surgery if he/she has been asked to stop smoking and the patient has not. He fully believes healing will be much better with a non-smoker.

LOOKINGFORHOPE responded:
I HAD 2 SURGERIES ON MY BACK ONE IN 2004 WAS A LAMINECTOMY FOR STENOSIS THEN IN 2007 FOR A DISKECTOMY FOR RUPTURE DISK I SMOKED ON THE WAY TO HAVE SURGERY AND AS SOON AS I GOT HOME, AND I WAS FINE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL..

davedsel57 replied to LOOKINGFORHOPE's response:
You are very lucky and an exception to the rule.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

trs1960 replied to davedsel57's response:
There's another word on the tip of my tongue too...

dianer01 responded:
Hi Anon,

Your doctor has the right to test you for anything which would pertain to his caring for you with your permission. You do not have to give him permission to do the nicotine test and at the same time he can choose to not treat you.

I admire what it has taken to cut back as far as you have. If you are interested in quitting, you may want to talk to your primary care doc or call your local American Cancer Society for referral to smoking cessation classes.

Helpful Tips

MRI Results of Back Help
Just received my MRI and need to wait 2 weeks for my follow up appointment. Can anyone help me read the results and let me know how serious ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center