Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Losing a beloved pet
bj1208 posted:
Hey all~~

just wanted to let everyone know I haven't really been on for a couple of days. Our Boxer, Otis was either having seizures or a stroke - we had taken him to our vet last Friday and he really didn't see anything wrong except maybe enlarged prostate.

This afternoon he fell on his left side (gave away) so we took him to emergency hospital. They said he had a large mass and they could operate now. So we said yes. Well they called us and said the mass was attached to all his organs and being he was almost 13 yrs old he probably would not make it. So yes we had to have him put down.
He's in doggie heaven now and he will be in no pain and will rest in peace.
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

davedsel57 responded:
Joy,

I am so sorry for your family's loss. I pray for comfort for you now as you grieve.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

georgia888 responded:
Hello Joy,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Otis. Over the years I had the pleasure of becoming acquainted with a few Boxers & they were all sweethearts.

Our pets are members of the family & losing them can be devastating. May you always cherish the many memories of Otis.

Best regards,
georgia

backbreaking responded:
So sorry Joy, our pets are as close as family and it's always so sad when we lose one. In my thoughts.

Brenda

dianer01 responded:
Joy,

I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear of Otis' passing. Our pets are very important to us and are definitely a member of the family.

My heart goes out to you.

di

deach777 responded:
Hi Joy, sorry to hear of your loss of Otis. As he is comforted now, so you may find comfort also. God bless, ~Deach~

bj1208 replied to deach777's response:
thanks everyone for the prayers and well wishes - we know that Otis lead a great and spoiled life - he would have been 12 1/2 in Feb. and that is pretty old for a Boxer~~

Thanks again~~

~~ Joy ~~

dano1259 responded:
Hi
I'm sorry to hear this, as I do know our pets are family and mine
is too my family. I changed my profile picture to my dogs
picture. I lost one dog back in 1994 my vet said to get a new
puppy to help with losing her. lost him in 2003. I got my dog now in 2006 and she has had surgery on both knees and she is not
healing very well so its a matter of time I will lose her. I loved my dogs it is hard to lose them. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Take care and hang in there..
Dan

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
I just wanted to check in with you Joy.

I'm so sorry about your beloved Otis. I have 3 dogs myself. My one Bichon Frise is going to be 15 this February. She's acting old, but hanging in there! I have another Bichon 10 years old and a "wanna be" yorkie 5 years old. Really members of our family, so I understand your loss. I'm so sorry hon.
(((hugs)))
Chrissy~ WebMD Staff

Confucius Say;
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

bj1208 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Chrissy and everyone -

Thanks for the prayers and kind words -

2 nites ago we purchased a purebred black boxer with white paws and chest - he's a year old and his family had to sell him as their newborn baby was breaking out in hives.

Rocky is a lovable puppy and is really a momma's boy~~~LOL my hubby just laughs at that - he's stuck to my side 24/7 - even when I go to the bathroom he's right there.

it's great having a dog again and this one has such a different disposition. We're really lucky we found him.

Thanks again -

~~ Joy ~~

davedsel57 replied to bj1208's response:
Great news, Joy!

I'm sure Rocky is really lucky the he found you, too.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

lazydazey responded:
So sorry for your loss Joy, know how that feels....my youngest dog (and she wasn't all that young, approx. 10 years old) literally dropped dead in my living room back in October-it must have been a heart attack, by the time I got to her she was already gone....and I was devestated....a friend who was worried about me because I was so sad took me to see some puppies a few days later-and I fell in love! The puppies couldn't replace my beloved dog that had passed, but they did keep me busy and helped me feel better! So I am glad you got another dog-it does help. The puppies I got are half lab and half boxer, have experience with labs but not boxers, so this should be interesting....unfortunately they are going to be GINORMOUS so that should be interesting too! Take care and once again so sorry for your loss.....there is nothing and no one as loyal and loving as a good dog.......

Helpful Tips

Steps For Getting Back Pain Diagnosed And Treated
Many people come to this WebMD Back Pain Community looking for help in getting a diagnosis of a cause and relief from their back pain. Most ... More
Was this Helpful?
216 of 332 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center