Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    arachnoiditis lumbar pain
    redhead36 posted:
    I have arachnoiditis = try to live, control pain with limited pain meds, have lost being a wife/partner to my husband, am highly restricted, require high care. I recently suffered a failed thecal pain pump trial without anesthesia, halted due to extreme pain suffering from needle insert before test pain medicine was injected. Area after is now even far more painful/sore and has developed a lingering bruise/swelling, realize some improvement with ice/rest, diminishs, but resumes, never heals. Anyone else had this, recommend treatment?
    bj1208 responded:
    hi redhead36 - welcome to the support group -

    I have not had this but would suggest that maybe you get another opinion from either Orthopedic Spine Specialist or Neurosurgeon Spine Specialist and see what they say.

    I've had the SCS Trial (spinal cord stimulator implant) and the skin area was dabbed with a numbing agent and then a numbing agent was inserted before the leads were put in.

    Not sure if this is same process for pain pump implants but would imagine it would be.

    keep us posted what you find out~~
    ~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

    Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

    ~~ Joy ~~

    Helpful Tips

    Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
    Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    39 of 54 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center