Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain in the butt...
charl1942 posted:
I suffered about 3-4 years with coccydenia during which I had several nerve blocks, ablations, ganglion Impar, physical therapy, aquatic therapy, pelvic floor therapy and I went to several pain management physicians until one told me she had done all she knew to help me, and if I ever decided to have my tailbone removed to find one who had successfully done it many times.
October 2011 I finally found the right doctor and had the surgery. I knew the healing time would be long, but what did I have to loose? In May 2012 my husband and I were in the parking lot of a shuttle bus co. when we were involved in an auto accident and first me then my husband were thrown to the floor. I was not able to get up and was taken to the nearby hospital ER. I was okay except for the pain in the butt! The rectum about an inch from the anus is swollen so much I am uncomfortable ablout 24-7. Does anyone know what I should do and what type of doctor I should see. Is there a doctor here who I might pose that question to. I am very,very miserable and the only thing that works for me is a BC or Goody's powder and lie down. Sitting hurts worse and lying down until the pain goes down enough to get half way comfortable. Mornings are best, but even then I hurt earlier and earlier in the day. Please offer any advise you may have. It will be very much appreciated. Thanks

davedsel57 responded:
Hello, Charl1942.

I am sorry to read of your most recent painful experience.

The assigned experts have not replied to posts in a very long time. I would think starting with your primary doctor would be your best course of action. Can you take OTC pain meds that reduce inflammation such as aspirin or ibuprofen? You may be able to sit more comfortably if you can get a doughnut-shaped pillow that is specifically designed for people with pain such as yours. I used one many years ago when I was suffering from ulcerative colitis and it helped a great deal.

I pray you can get answers and relief soon.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

bj1208 responded:
Hey sweetie~~ as Dave said the physicians assigned here have not responded to any posts in quite a few months. I did see one about a month ago but it was random.

I think maybe you should go see your primary doc and start there and see if you can take some ibuprofen. Be careful with that BC - I took that for a while for migraines but found out it was causing them to get worse~~

not sure if you have a bathtub but try soaking in warm water and then put an ice pack on the area. hope you can find something to help~~ luve ya
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

charl1942 replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks for your input. I was thinking I should start with the family doctor, but I hope he now has a female P.A. or Nurse Practioner. I would rather that, but I will do what I need to. This problem is getting worse and worse.

Thanks again for your help.

Debsbears replied to charl1942's response:
Hi Charl1942 I am sorry to hear about your situation. I know we can not recommend a Dr by name but I think it is okay to mention a type of Dr.

2 yrs ago I had to have 95% of my colon removed, followed by a rectal prolapse and a rectal rectocele. My entire bottom was swollen.

I do not want to go into the whole story, bottom line I had to see 2 different kinds of Drs. a Urogynecologist who did the rectal repair of the rectocele and prolapse and the other was a Colon/Rectal surgeon who removed 4ft of my colon.

Ask your primary Dr. if you can see one of those 2 kinds of Drs. It's been 2 yrs and I am doing no problems. I will be praying for you that you get this fixed asap. Deb

charl1942 replied to Debsbears's response:
Thanks Deb. I am holding on the phone now for my GP's office.

charl1942 replied to charl1942's response:
I went to the GP yesterday. He said he did not think I have an abscess. He could feel the swelling I knew was there on the left side. He RX'd antibiotics, but I am unsure why. I even mentioned "antibiotics?" but he seemed to think for some reason they would help. I don't know what he was thinking, but he said I should see a gastroenterologist.He said the gastro guy would have some equipment to check out what this really is. Please keep me in your prayers.

Thanks for the suggestions you all have given.

Charl1942 The GI could be a blessing in disguise. That is where I started out with a rectal then I had colonoscopy, there was another test he did (too graphic) for here.

That test sent to the colon/rectal surgeon - of course more tests but within a very short time I knew what I was dealing with. Then after the colon removal I was sent to the Urogynecology for the necessary tests for the rectal repair.

You it just occurred to me I also had to deal with a vessel bleed which no one had occurred until I went in again to see the Urogynecologist, It was eternal and swelled up everything to the point I could not sit or walk I had to have an emerg. surgery to stop the bleed I had a hematoma the size of a small pickle inside.

I will pray you get in to see the GI doc soon. Please keep us posted. Deb

Anon_960 replied to Debsbears's response:
Debsbears, I understand what you are trying to say, and your comments are always appreciated. The discription of detailed problems which could occur might cause some new person to the board to be unnecessarily afraid.

davedsel57 replied to Anon_960's response:
Anon_960,

Deb's reply was appropriate and pertinent to the discussion, IMHO. This is a medical community. Sometimes delicate subject are discussed. I read nothing offensive or that could scare a new member.

Deb deliberately refrained from going into too much detail and shared necessary information for Charl1942 to understand what may be going on with her.
Click on my user name or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

charl1942 replied to davedsel57's response:
Good morning,
I was at the gastro guy and he wants to do a colonoscopy which will be carried out on the 12th of December. He feels the spot is not an abcess, but a possible tumor or a polyp. I guess anything wrong will be taken care of then. Here's hoping.
Davedsel57, I was a little scared about the possibility of many things that I thought about before I saw the gastroenterologist.
Somtimes a little knowledge is dangerous. I sometimes have to watch reading too much about conditions because so many have similar symptoms. Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion.

Hi Charl1942 I am glad you saw the GI Dr and you are having the colonscopy. I am sorry if I scared you in my response, I was only letting you know of my experience and that other things could be wrong. Sorry it will not be happening again.

I will keep you in my prayers on the 12th.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center