Skip to content
Questions About Upcoming Fusion...
HighOct4ne posted:
Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old male 3 weeks away from undergoing a second attempt at fusing my L-5/S-1 vertebrae. I had a previous attempt last year (using Spineology Optimesh) that was a failure. This time, I'm going to (who I feel) is a much better surgeon, but have some concerns. The first being this attempt will be an anterior/posterior approach. My last surgery was done posteriorly, and I was okay with that...but the idea of someone going through my abdomen to get to my spine REALLY freaks me out. Another concern I have is the possible use of BMP-2/Infuse. I trust my surgeon, and feel he's going to use whatever he thinks would work best to achieve a successful fusion. That being said, I'm a very inquisitive person, and after google-ing BMP, it worries me that it could have a potential link to cance (though nothing is indesputable/concrete). I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance concerning this second surgery. The first surgery failed, and I am extremely nervous about the second. Any help or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciative. Thanks for reading.
Stand up for what you believe in... Even if you're standing alone.

bj1208 responded:
hi HighOct4ne - welcome to the support group -

I had Anterior Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 done 2/08. My surgeon told me he prefers to go thru the stomach area as it heals better than gong in thru the back. Believe me I wrote down about 25 questions and asked my surgeon every one and would not leave til I was satisfied!!

I have a plate, 4 screws and a cage in place of my L5-S1 disc.

For your surgeon to consider doing the 360 flip surgery he appears to want to make sure everything is secured and in place.

You can read my story by clicking on my name or pic. Let me know if you have more questions. keep us posted.j
~~ Click on my name or picture and read my story ~~

Take care ~~ God Bless ~~

~~ Joy ~~

HighOct4ne replied to bj1208's response:
Thanks for the reply, Joy. After reading your profile it seems you've been through quite a bit. I, too, was looking into an SCS (about a month ago) but after tho ortho surgeon found the alleged cause of the first failed fusion, he recommends trying it again to see if it would work. I am confident my (new) surgeon will be able to successfully fuse my vertebrae, but at the same time, another surgery is nerve-racking to say the least. Ill keep in touch and let you know how things go. Thanks again.
Stand up for what you believe in... Even if you're standing alone.

Helpful Tips

Making the Most of Your Doctor Visit #2Expert
Here are the rest of the suggestions (had to break into to two parts due to the character limits) 5. Make sure that all records ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 43 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center